Wright to be inaugurated today

Sixteenth College President James Wright will ceremoniously take over the office he has been serving since August 1 of this year at today's Inauguration ceremony.

The event, nearly five months in the planning, will coincide with the Convocation of the 229th year of the College and will include aspects traditional to both celebrations.

The inauguration will occur on the front lawn of Baker Library beginning at 2:00 p.m. followed by an informal reception on the Green.

Wright told The Dartmouth he delayed the event so more students could participate in the ceremony.

"We wanted to have it when all the students and faculty were back rather than have it this summer when I assumed the presidency," Wright said. "I do think that it's a moment of institutional ceremony."

Wright said his inaugural address will contain themes he has spoken about before, including the importance of diversity, financial aid and community at the College.

Former President James Freedman will welcome Wright to the Wheelock succession of presidents and present him with the historical Wentworth Bowl.

Board of Trustees Chairman Stephen Bosworth will formally install Wright as the College's 16th president and present him with the College's charter.

In addition to Freedman and Wright, Student Assembly President Josh Green '00 will deliver the student address, a speech that is traditionally part of the Convocation ceremony.

"I see my role as speaking to the incoming class and also representing students in general," Green said.

Green said he was flattered to be given the opportunity to speak at the inaugural and has been preparing his speech for three weeks.

"I am, of course, nervous. I spoke with President Wright and he said that if I wasn't nervous he'd be worried," Green said.

College Chaplain Gwendolyn King will deliver the invocation and Duke History Professor John Hope Franklin will deliver additional greetings to the attendees.

The Chamber Singers and the Glee Club will close the event with the singing of the alma mater.

Invited guests include representatives from over 50 colleges and universities including all seven other Ivy League institutions.

It was still unclear last night whether New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen will be in attendance due to possible legislative commitments at the capital in Concord.

The event was planned by a seven- member Inauguration Planning Committee consisting of various College administrators.

Director of Public Affairs Laurel Stavis, who was a member of the committee, said both Wright and his wife Susan were active in planning the event.

Wright said he had some freedom in planning the event. "We've looked at what the last three or four presidents have done and we've been guided by that, but we're not bound by it."

"We knew from the very beginning [Wright] wanted heavy student involvement," Stavis said. "They both wanted this to be a community event."

Stavis said she expects "a couple thousand" people to watch the inaugural. Approximately 4,000 chairs have been set up for the crowd.

The College's Trustees elected Wright to the presidency last April and he assumed his duties on August 1.

The inauguration is being broadcast over the Internet at two Dartmouth College web sites, one providing audio feed and the second Webcam site providing the visual portion.

WDCR Radio is also broadcasting the ceremony live.