The Wright Presidency

James Wright's inauguration yesterday as the 16th president of Dartmouth College marked the latest installation in the Wheelock succession, which will keep the College on its current, steady course into the next century.

Like former College President James Freedman, Wright understands the importance of maintaining and constantly building upon the intellectual calibre and reputation of Dartmouth.

Although Wright will undoubtedly continue Freedman's pursuit, he has already demonstrated and articulated his commitment to a broader definition of intellectualism.

Wright correctly recognizes the value of other aspects of the college experience -- such as the diversity of social options -- as equally important influences on the overall quality of an undergraduate education.

For example, Wright's initiative to revamp Collis will enhance the intellectual atmosphere of the College by improving the overall quality of student life at Dartmouth.

In addition, by continuing the College's commitment to affirmative action programs, Wright will help to improve upon the diversity of the student population and the perspectives within it.

Although Wright's emphasis on Dartmouth as a research university has been a cause for concern among much of the student population, his apparent desire to maintain a balance between the best characteristics of a college and a university tempers initial opposition to the concept of "Dartmouth University."

Improving and expanding existing research opportunities and graduate programs without detracting from Dartmouth's historic focus on undergraduates will shape Dartmouth's identity as a Research College.

Wright's greatest strength as president, however, is his accessibility and his demonstrated attention to students' concerns.

Since he took office in August, Wright has vigorously advertised his presence on campus and his openness to discussions with students.

His meetings with students, attention to student issues and visibility on campus illustrate an impressive and unusual desire to communicate with the most important members of the College community.

It is vital that Wright continue to be accessible to all students throughout his tenure as president -- both for the sake of his popularity and his effectiveness as president.