The Real Freshman Guide to Dartmouth

On picking courses: I'm sure you all heard that the average grade for courses like Music 4 and Philosophy 8 is an A, and most of you are all signing up for them, expecting an easy A. My advice to you is: don't. I've known people who didn't do as well as they expected. To me, professors make all the difference in the world. A good professor can make Shakespeare sound sensible and the driest of subjects exciting.

• On going to classes: It's not high school anymore where everybody goes to classes. Sure, it's important to go to your classes -- especially if it's a small seminar course -- but you can miss a few classes that are introductory or really general. For example, I went to my math class only three times (the first day of class, the midterm and finals) and still pulled off the class average. I wouldn't recommend skipping classes for anybody who is sane or likes to sleep instead of cramming.

• Best way not to look like a freshman: Most upperclassmen envy the freshmen because they are just starting college, and they wish they were freshmen. But some freshmen may not want to look like freshmen, so here's some tips: Don't travel in a big mob like most freshmen. Don't dress so nicely. In case you haven't noticed, a lot of the upperclassmen dress more casually, and freshmen are the ones who are wearing brand-spanking-new clothes.

• Sure ways to sneak into fraternity parties: Although freshmen are not allowed to attend frat parties during the fall, almost all freshmen manage to get in. There are many ways to do it. Groveling is a good way -- especially if you're a woman and want to get into a frat party. Just be honest and tell them that you have never been to a frat party, and they'll most likely take pity on you. Climbing through windows also can get you in (if you want to go to the Disco Inferno at Tabard, use the window on the left side of the building). If you want to save yourself the trouble, make at least one friend at each fraternity. Even if they are not there during big parties, using their name can get you in.

• Best drinking fountain: the one in the basement of Kiewit.

• The worst toilets: those in the basement of Baker. I swear they were designed for midgets.

• The best place to pull an all-nighter: study lounges in the dorm basements are too creepy for me, so I usually pull them in Kiewit.

• Best place to take a nap: the Tower Room, hands down.

• People to befriend: Make friends with the people who work at Food Court or wherever you eat most of your meals. These people can get you special deals on food, and they'll often tell you what food is good and what food has been sitting on the counter since last year. Get to know your custodians, because they let you into rooms when you're locked out and can help you out with almost anything that concerns your room.

• Guide to what to drink: Most frat beer, especially if they brew it themselves in the basement, tastes like urine, so I don't drink too much of the stuff. Any good stuff like Samuel Adams is never served so don't ask for it. For those who don't want to drink cheap frat beer and socialize while drinking good liquor, go to Thursday night 'tails at Zete. To get in, just tell them you love the Jack-o-Lantern.

I hope this helps. Remember that this is your freshmen Fall, so have a lot of fun, bcause you can get away with saying: "Dad, don't worry, my grades will improve ... It was my freshmen Fall."