Wazzupdate highlights programming

About 150 students opened their BlitzMail in-boxes this morning to find Wazzupdate, a bulletin that informs the Dartmouth community about the week's programming events.

Daudeline Meme '00, who compiles and helped to create the update, said it will be sent to subscribers each Monday in order to "make activities more accessible" to the student body and College community.

The update includes events related to every aspect of "Dartmouth culture," and each event is open to the entire College community, according to Meme.

Meme said any organization can contribute to the update, and Monday's bulletin includes events sponsored by the Film Society, Agora, Asgard, Phi Tau, the Tucker Foundation and the Women's Resource Center.

Last term, five updates were sent from the Student Assembly's BlitzMail account, but Wazzupdate received its own account about two weeks ago, Meme said.

She said information about programming events included in Wazzupdate will also be listed in BlitzMail bulletins under Student Assembly-Wazzupdate.

The idea of a weekly programming update was discussed in a meeting at the Roth Center for Jewish Life and during a "community-wide" discussion in the basement of Cutter-Shabazz Hall, Assembly President Josh Green '00 said.

Green said Jorge Miranda '01 and Meme worked with the Assembly's Student Organizations Committee to develop the idea.

The update "may have been conceived Fall term, it was born in Winter and didn't take its first steps until Spring," Green said.

Between 30 and 40 students suggested possible names for the bulletin, and the Assembly selected the name Wazzupdate, submitted by Ezekiel Webber '00, Meme said.

Green said campus organizations have been supportive of the update, and the update will benefit both organizations and students.

"It will give organizations a chance to get the word out about their events and will give students a better idea of what, in God's name, we can do in Hanover, N.H.," he said.

Meme said she welcomes student reactions to the update and any suggestions of possible improvements.