Families descend on Hanover for weekend

The College is battening down its hatches in preparation for an invasion of families this weekend.

According to Mark Hoffman, director of Collis Center and Student Activities, about 700 parents will be visiting their sons and daughters for this year's Sophomore Family Weekend. In addition, 60 siblings will be in town to visit their Big Green brothers and sisters.

Hoffman said fewer parents will be attending Family Weekend than attended Freshmen Parents' Weekend in April of 1997.

In order to keep the large number of visitors occupied this weekend, the College has planned a variety of activities, Hoffman said.

"There's a lot of different things going on," Hoffman said. "There's activities ranging from a swing ball on Friday, to a jazz reception on Saturday."

Activities begin Friday afternoon, with tours of Baker Library's bell tower. At 4 p.m., Career Services Associate Director Kathryn Hutchinson will give an address on "Maximizing the Dartmouth Experience" at Collis Cafe.

WDCR plans a live music concert in front of Robinson Hall from 4 to 5:30 p.m., followed by a reception in the Dartmouth Broadcasting studios. The Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance is holding a reception in 220 Collis at 5 p.m.

There will be a Shabbat service and dinner at the Roth Center for Jewish Life at 5:30.

From 8 p.m. to 11 p.m., there will be a free swing ball in Collis Common Ground, featuring the Vermont band Swing Machine.

Students will be performing in Lone Pine Tavern on both Friday and Saturday nights.

Ledyard Canoe Club will be hosting a Pancake Paddle for early risers on Saturday morning from 7 to 10:30 a.m.

At 10 a.m., 2000 Class Dean Teoby Gomez will be giving an address on the president's lawn, Hoffman said. Gomez will be joined in his remarks by Student Assembly President Josh Green '00, Summer Council President Paul Holzer '00 and Council Vice-President John Phinney '00.

There will be numerous barbecues on Saturday, including one at the Gold Coast cluster and one sponsored by the Irish Society on the River apartments patio.

Saturday afternoon will also see several lectures by members of the faculty, Hoffman said.

Asgard is sponsoring a game of Capture the Melon, starting at Butterfield at 2 p.m.

Saturday evening at 8 p.m., Eric Brown '00, Alan Grubner '98, Tony Jurado '98 and Mike Roberts '00 will be performing jazz in the courtyard between the Hopkins Center and the Hood Museum of Art.

Sunday morning at 8:30, the 2000 Class Council will be holding a five-kilometer race to raise money for breast cancer research.

At 10 a.m., there will be brunch at the Dartmouth Outing Club house on Occum Pond, Hoffman said. The Decibelles and Barberians will be performing a cappella music. Tickets are required.

Hoffman said all activities are geared towards families.