Carnival planned for this weekend

Summer Carnival will kick off this Saturday at 1:00 p.m., and according to 2000 Class Council President Paul Holzer '00, it will be the Summer Carnival by which all others are to be judged.

"This will be the big year for Summer Carnival, if everything goes to plan," Holzer said.

Organized by both the Programming Board and the 2000 Class Council, many activities -- mostly free -- will be available for all students for the duration of the afternoon.

The band Downtyme will be playing on the Collis Center porch while students shoot baskets, face-paint and duel it out American Gladiator style in a jousting ring.

In between Collis and Robinson Hall, booths will be set up for fortune-telling and t-shirt dying, as well as a fruit and lemonade stands.

The sale of class t-shirts, cotton-candy and snow cones will add to the carnival-like atmosphere of the afternoon.

In addition, an inflatable boxing ring on the Green will host students who wish to arm themselves with giant-sized gloves and a helmet and slug it out with friends.

Carnival will commence with a morning Multathalon, where teams of six students will compete in one race including swimming, paddling, running and mountain-biking.

Other sports will include an ultimate frisbee game on the Green and the unathalon, including what Holzer described as "many ridiculous events."

Karen Wilkes '00, summer chair of the Student Life committee elaborated that the unathalon will include a dizzying bat race and a pie-eating contest.

The activities for Summer Carnival have traditionally been informal and low-key.

But with better organization going into Saturday's event, Holzer is hoping to be more successful than last year's rather small turn-out.

"It's been one of the big Council projects this summer," Holzer said. "It's probably our biggest event [in terms of] money and activities."

Though Summer Carnival is not tied to any other campus organizations, there was talk earlier in the summer of having it united to the annual Greek Olympics, but that event will instead be held next weekend, Wilkes said.