Walsh '98 to care for critically ill patients

In the year following graduation, Erin Walsh '98 will care for patients who are expected to live for less than six months in a hospice house in Mozula, Mont.

Walsh will look after eight patients who qualified for governmental hospice care at a time. She said talking to the patients and general emotional care will occupy much of her time.

"Feeding them and getting to know them during their stay at the hospice" is a major part of her job, Walsh said.

Maintaining a "ministry of presence" is the best way Walsh could describe her work.

Walsh said she will also have administrative duties.

During her stay at the hospice, Walsh will be living with five other volunteers who will be doing different types of work.

Walsh decided to pursue volunteer work despite a job offer from Abbott Laboratories in Chicago.

She explained she feels "at ease with the prospect of working as a volunteer instead of working in the corporate setting."

Walsh said she feels lucky to be financially secure at the moment and to have the opportunity to volunteer.

"I am taking advantage of that," she said.

Walsh, who plans to attend medical school, said she hopes to earn a nurse's aid certificate through her work at the hospice.

While at the College, Walsh, a biochemistry major and philosophy minor, served as vice president of the Glee Club and held a position on the executive committee of Sigma Delta sorority.