The Doors Won't Be Locked

I just received an update on the door-locking situation, so I thought I'd pass it along: the administration will not be going ahead with the new door-locking policy this fall.

Why not? Well, the deans believe that no security system will work if we don't support or, at least, accept it, so they want to find a system which preserves what we love most about Dartmouth.

So now we have the chance to do this right.

We can have a discussion about ways to make our campus safer for everyone. And we can have this discussion before any policy decision is made.

And so I want to ask for your help in answering two questions. First, what's the best door-locking policy? Also, how can we improve the Student Assembly?

In Friday's issue of The Dartmouth, Kate Ryan pointed out that holding a town meeting before a major decision is made would be better than holding one after. I agree, and I think there are other ways to make sure that the Assembly responsibly represents us.

For instance, I think this year we can make sure that each member of the Assembly communicates regularly with a specific portion of his or her class, so that everyone knows at least one person to talk to before votes are taken.

I have a few more ideas, but I'd also like to hear more of yours. Send me a blitz, or drop by 212 Collis tonight at 7 p.m., when the new Assembly will be discussing what it's going to do this term. Janelle Ruley's in charge for the summer, but I'll be there, too.

Thanks to those who have already blitzed and to my roommates who won't leave me alone about the door-locking policy,