Student attacked on South Main St.

A Dartmouth Master of Arts and Liberal Studies graduate student was attacked from behind as she walked down South Main St. early Wednesday morning.

The woman's alleged assailant, former College custodian Thurman Moore, was armed with a knife and attempted to drag her into the woods, according to Hanover Police Chief Nick Giaccone.

When the woman screamed, awakening neighbors, her assailant fled. He was caught about an hour later by the Hanover Police, Giaccone said.

Safety and Security assisted in capturing Moore by standing by the assailant's suspected location and acting as "extra eyes and ears," College Proctor Bob McEwen said.

The woman suffered several lacerations and puncture wounds on her right cheek, under her chin and on the top of her left hand. She was treated at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and released, Giaccone said.

He said Moore is being held in Grafton County Jail and is facing charges of a Class A Felony. If he is convicted, Moore could serve between seven and 15 years behind bars.

Moore worked as a custodian at the College from October of 1997 until last month, when he resigned from his position, Director of Human Resources Roger Brock said.

Brock said Moore was not a dorm custodian, a Facilities, Operations and Management worker who lives in a residence hall.

Senior Gretchen Gudmundsen '98 said she was "shocked" by the news of the attack.

But Gudmundsen said the assault did not change her feelings about the College or campus safety.

"I feel like I've seen bad things happen before and they'll happen again, unfortunately," she said.

After hearing about the assault, New York native Roger Griesmeyer '98 said it "sounds like Hanover's turning into home."

"It ... makes you think a little bit about where the town is going if that kind of stuff is happening up here," he said.