Spurr '99 rushes Fenway field

A College student was arrested last term after he rushed Boston's Fenway Park during a Memorial Day weekend game between the Toronto Blue Jays and Boston Red Sox.

Jeremy Spurr '99, a member of Gamma Delta Chi fraternity who came to Boston with about 30 Gamma Delt brothers, said he ran from the outfield to second base, then walked off the field and was taken into custody.

"[Spurr was] break dancing in the middle of the infield and then started to walk off," Gamma Delt brother Brendan Panda '00 said. "It was really quick. It was funny, though."

Spurr said he "randomly decided" to rush the field and his brothers prompted him to do so.

"My creed is that you only live once," he said. "I'd never get a chance [to rush the field] at Dartmouth. [I'm] in the marching band."

Spurr said he also knew the fine for rushing Fenway Park was less than the fine for rushing Dartmouth's field, another factor that influenced his decision.

Spurr's fraternity brothers did not know where he was taken after his arrest, and he had just $1 in his pocket at the time, so he spent a night sleeping on "a metal bench behind bars," Spurr said.

The next day, Spurr appeared before Roxbury District Court, where a judge took his offense lightly.

"Wow," the judge told Spurr. "You made it further than any Red Sox player."

Spurr was fined $200 for trespassing and court expenses and was later released. He called his house collect and asked his brother to reserve a seat on the Dartmouth Mini-Coach.

He used a dollar to buy a subway token from Roxbury to Logan airport.

Despite his fine and his stay in jail with "crack dealers [and] wife beaters," Spurr said he does not regret rushing the field.

"It was worth it to see 1,000 camera bulbs going off at once," he said.