Hundreds attend the reception for Pelton

Student leaders, faculty members and administrators praised Dean of the College Lee Pelton's open-minded, approachable and caring personality yesterday afternoon during a tribute to the dean, who is leaving Dartmouth to assume the presidency at Willamette University in Oregon following Commencement.

College President James Freedman said Pelton has been a wonderful dean who has served Hanover and the College community.

He said he expects Pelton will be a leader in American higher education, adding "his experience at Dartmouth will stand him in good stead."

Freedman said two of Pelton's major achievements have been the creation of the East Wheelock Cluster and gender equality in Dartmouth's student body and athletic program.

Pelton has worked toward his goals quietly without drawing attention to himself, Freedman said, adding, "It simply gets done." He thanked Pelton for his respect for the students, concern for the life of the mind and commitment to liberal arts values.

Provost and President-elect James Wright said Pelton gave students the feeling that he cares, is open-minded and is willing to discuss students' views even if he disagreed with them.

Pelton's interaction with students and student groups, Wright said, drew students into the community.

Senior Associate Dean Dan Nelson, who will serve as acting dean of the College after Pelton leaves, said the College will miss Pelton's sensitivity and flexible leadership.

Pelton has gained students' trust, respect and affection by "patiently listening to everyone's input," he said.

Nelson credited Pelton with reducing alcohol consumption without ignoring the Greek system's importance, and praised the creation of the East Wheelock Cluster, which he said helps to maintain the College's intellectual life.

He also thanked Pelton for "creating clarity out of muddle," and for being a good supervisor, mentor and friend.

Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia spoke about Pelton's sense of humor, his commitment to diversity and the integrity and fairness of his leadership.

By breaking down the communication barriers between students, staff and faculty, and by talking to and caring about students and their families, Sateia said, Pelton encouraged students to believe in themselves.

Director of Affirmative Action Ozzie Harris described Pelton as a "thoughtful man with tremendous integrity" who cares deeply about the College's intellectual life.

French and Italian Professor and Chair of the Comparative Literature Department Marianne Hirsch said Pelton also has an interest in and a good understanding of the lives of the faculty.

Student Assembly Vice President Case Dorkey '99 thanked Pelton for being a personal friend and mentor, as well as a friend to the student body.

"Dartmouth has been a wonderful gift for me and my family," Pelton said. He advised the Dartmouth community to "keep your eye on the prize" with integrity, fidelity and a set of strong principles.

Pelton thanked Wright for influencing his attitude towards a liberal arts education, and said the students and faculty are the foundation of Dartmouth's identity and its future success. He also emphasized the importance of social interaction in constructing a community out of a diverse student body.

"It's not quite right yet," he said, but added that he sees hope for the College is this respect.

Many students, faculty members and administrators attended the reception.

Micaela Diaz '00 said Pelton remembered her after their first meeting. He was not only willing to listen, she said, but made her feel that what she said was important. She said she thinks many students feel the same kind of connection with Pelton.

Karen Wilkes '00, who has baby-sat Pelton's two children, said Pelton is an impressive role model. She said he is respected because he remains open-minded even when defending his own position.

"He's left a lot here for people to follow in his footsteps," she said.

Rachel Gilliar '98 said she thinks Pelton was helpful, supportive and devoted to issues important to the students. She said he made student life a priority and turned Dartmouth into a comfortable learning environment.

Marene Jennings '98 mentioned Pelton's visible presence on campus and said he is willing to address critical and sensitive issues such as diversity and to incorporate student input in his decisions.

Jon Heavey '97, former Assembly president, said Pelton was a student advocate who always acted in their best interests.

Director of Financial Aid and Admissions Karl Furstenberg said Pelton is unusually sensitive, open-minded and interested in people and manages to integrate different views into a cohesive policy.

Executive Officer Richard Heck said Pelton was able to make people believe in Dartmouth and gave the administration a sense of purpose, allowing members could take risks and to act on their beliefs.