We Need You

I want to ask you a question. If you were given a year to change Dartmouth, and if you were also given a group of people who wanted to work with you toward similar goals, what would you change? I'm hoping you'll answer this question, but not for the reasons you might guess. (Yes, the Visions project is really over ... I promise.)

In my time at Dartmouth, I've often heard that the Student Assembly is out of touch with the student body or that you have to know the president or the executive vice president to be part of the "inner-circle." Well, things change -- even the Student Assembly. So let's try something new this year. (Here's where that "if you were given a year..." question becomes important.)

You see, as president-elect of the Student Assembly, I am supposed to appoint six vice presidents, one to run each of the Assembly's committees. When I began to consider who I might nominate, I made a list of the people I know -- people I've worked with, studied with, and, of course, my friends -- because who else could I choose?

But the process started to bother me a little, and I got to thinking. There are a lot of people who want to change this campus for the better ... maybe your UGA from freshman year, maybe the guy whose name you don't know, but who always says hi to you -- maybe you.

Of course, I may not know you, but I am hoping that I will. Because, next year, I want to find the best person possible to be the vice president who is in charge of the Assembly's Student Life Committee ... and that person might be you.

What is the Student Life Committee? Well, in the past, the committee has attempted to fix DarTalk, find parking spots and address issues of race. Bottom line: Student Life is supposed to change what we don't like about Dartmouth and accentuate what we love. Next year, I want us to decide together what the Student Life Committee will do.

Last night, I nominated five permanent vice presidents, but there was one nomination which is only temporary: yup, the vice president of Student Life. Beginning today, I want to ask anyone who has an interest in making Dartmouth a little better to send me a blitz. Like I said, I want to find the best person possible to chair the Student Life Committee, and this is the best way I can think of to find that person.

So, how will this process work? Well, hopefully, you'll send me a blitz by the end of the term (the beginning of the summer is fine, too) telling me what you would do as chair of Student Life and a few others will, too. Then, Case Dorkey, the executive vice-president-elect ("That's Case, like a case of beer, and Dorkey, like the insult.") and I will read over all the blitzes, and one of us will give you a call. Then, at the first Assembly meeting this fall, I'll nominate a permanent chair of the Student Life Committee.

Now, this is a new way of going about the appointment process, and it might not work. But it will, if you want it to.

So, while you're procrastinating during reading period, take a second to send me your thoughts. Or, if you're otherwise occupied next year, encourage your friends and the people you admire to send me their thoughts.

I've said it before during the elections, and I'll say it again now: next year, we, as students, are going to have an amazing opportunity to shape the future of Dartmouth. Will you take part in actively shaping our future?

The Assembly's constitution says that the Student Life Committee will address social, residential and cultural concerns of the Dartmouth Community. But what will the committee actually DO? Well, that's up to you.

Just send me a blitz. It's that simple.