Men's golf loses by one to Harvard: Heaton, Welty play solid rounds as team loses in home finale

The male golfers in green saw red this weekend, or crimson to be exact. Unlike their female counterparts who beat their Harvard opponents by nine points, 10.5-1.5 this past Saturday at Hanover Country Club, the men's golf team lost a tight match to the Crimson 12.5-11.5. The match was the only home event of the year for the Big Green golfers.

It was the squad's younger golfers who delivered in the final match of the season, providing some added hope for next year's campagin. Jon Heaton '99, Kyle Song '01 and Chris Welty '00 all won three points to give Dartmouth some momentum from some unexpected sources.

Co- Captain Jay Danzi '98 managed to win two points while the other co-Captain, Mackenzie Hurd '98, could only come away with half a point aginst the tough Crimson squad.

"We were a little disappointed to lose to Harvard, but I don't think anyone is really upset with the way we played," Welty said of the team's performance.

"Most of us played really well, their seventh man just had a great day and that decided the match. If he doesn't play so well, we come away with the victory."

Many of the players suggested that the highlight may have been Heaton's solid play

"He put together the kind of round we all know he is capable of by shooting an even-par 69," said Welty, Heaton's partner for the day. "He hit a couple of really clutch iron shots and made some big putts at important times which took the life out of his opponent."

As for himself, Welty was pleased with his personal effort.

"It was one of my most solid rounds this season," he said. "I hit a lot of greens and didn't give away too many shots. When you can do that, you're opponent never gets a chance to gain momentum, and it make things a lot easier on you."

It was a great finish to the season," Heaton said. "It is always nice to finish your year with a strong performance, but this year is was especially important to me because I didn't play up to my potential for much of this spring."