DUAN attracts more than 1,000

Dartmouth students were up all night at the Collis Center this weekend. Hundreds of students played Win, Lose or Draw, caught Jello falling from two stories and listened to a cappella and tap dancing till 5:00 in the morning.

Students filled Collis Saturday, moving between the Talent Show in the Common Ground, mini-golf in the cafe, free pool and karaoke in the basement and Latin dance instruction upstairs.

At 5:30 a.m., the Dartmouth Up All Night program closed with free breakfast for the insomniacs who made it through late-night bingo and a showing of "Austin Powers."

Some students said they attended just for a specific group's performance, but many stayed for several hours.

Malini Mukhopadhyay '01 said she stayed at DUAN to help friends in the College Bowl tournament. She said she also enjoyed the Talent Show and karaoke.

Brian Maloney '01 said he was impressed by the variety of activities happening simultaneously.

"It'd be great if Collis could be like that every weekend," he said.

According to DUAN co-Chair Case Dorkey '99, over 1,500 students attended overall, and several hundred students stayed through the early morning until breakfast.

This proved that more students attended this year and that "we kept them longer," DUAN committee member and 1997 co-Chair Nahoko Kawakyu '99 said.

Dorkey said DUAN was intended to do more than simply to provide entertainment on a Saturday night.

"The other aspect of it is bringing individuals together," he said. "The idea is that if you can put on an event that includes all these different campus organizations ... there's going to be something for everyone, then hopefully almost everyone will show up."

Kawakyu said that this year's DUAN was at least as successful as last year's, and that "even if students came to just one event for one hour," the program succeeded.

Dorkey agreed and said that "the stuff going on was a little more comprehensive -- we used more space."

Dorkey said that this year's publicity improved the event. Rolando Lopez '00 helped to publicize the event through BlitzMail, three rounds of posters and flyers delivered to students' doors the night before.

Many students said they knew about the event even if they could not attend.

Collis student managers deserve credit for helping the evening run smoothly, Kawakyu said.

Kawakyu said Director of Collis and Student Activities Mark Hoffman "is basically very willing to have Collis be a very active place" and did not object to keeping the center open all night.

Organizers Jorge Miranda '01 and Kawakyu said planning DUAN more than once a year would present too much of a challenge, but both would like to see the program continue annually.

Most events went as planned, although due to the length of the Talent Show, mini-golf moved to the Common Ground and swing dancing took place outside.

"Another thing that made Up All Night a success was they were able to make adjustments ... One of the problems with having such a packed schedule was if anything goes wrong, you need to be able to adapt," said Dorkey.

Thirty-six organizations contributed time and money to the 10-hour event. The evening was coordinated by DUAN Co-Chairs Miranda and Dorkey and a committee with representatives from the Student Assembly, Class Councils and many other organizations.

"The month before Dartmouth Up All Night was like Case and Jorge up all night," Miranda said.

Miranda said he heard about last year's program from older students and decided that he wanted to help make it happen again this year. Dorkey said he had been planning since last year to repeat the event.

Together, Miranda and Dorkey recruited organizations and worked out the logistics of the evening.