Assembly prepares for the upcoming year

The 1998-99 Student Assembly elected four new members of its Membership and Internal Affairs Committee and voted on two new representatives during its first organizational meeting last night.

The members of next year's Assembly elected Ed Bialas '01, Mitsuko Gardner '99, former Assembly Vice-president Nahoko Kawakyu '99 and Alex Kline '99 to the MIAC.

The influential MIAC determines membership for those non-elected students wishing to serve on the Assembly and reviews current members' attendance records.

Next year's Assembly also decided which tied representative candidates from last month's student-wide Assembly elections will fill the positions.

In an Assembly vote, Sean Taylor '99 defeated Bryan Imai '99 for the last representative position from their class, and Brian Feldman was elected to serve as the final representative from the Class of 2000.

Although he was tied with former vice-presidential candidate Rob Auten '00 in the student wide elections, Auten removed himself from contention so Feldman faced no opposition last night.

Current Assembly President Frode Eilertsen '99 and Leonora Snyder '99 were tied for the final '99 seat, but also withdrew their names from contention.

During the meeting, members expressed their goals for next year's Assembly.

Scott Jacobs '99 said he wants to see a diversification of the College's curriculum and faculty and said he would like to see the Assembly work with the Admissions and Financial Aid Office to recruit more African-American students to the College.

Kawakyu said she wants to see the Assembly work to remove derogatory comments written on bathroom walls.

Athena Lentini '01 said she would prefer if the Assembly worked on less controversial issues, and Dan Powell '00 continued the theme of his failed presidential bid by saying he wants to see the Assembly work on more visible and concrete issues.