Assembly chooses new execs

The 1998-99 Student Assembly filled many of its cabinet positions at its second organizational meeting last night.

Next Year's Assembly elected Jonah Sonnenborn '99 as its new treasurer and Greg Chittim '01 its new secretary.

The Assembly also approved many of next year's committee chairs nominated by Assembly President-elect Josh Green '00.

Jorge Miranda '00 was approved as Academic Affairs Committee chair, and Janelle Ruley '00 was approved to chair the Administrative and Faculty Relations Committee.

The Assembly also approved James Gallo '99 and Beth Westman '99 to chair the Student Life and Student Services Committees respectively.

Green told The Dartmouth after the meeting it is "publicly understood" that Gallo will resign after summer.

Green is breaking with established Assembly tradition this year by soliciting students for nominations for the chair of the Student Life Committee.

Typically the president-elect of the Assembly nominates a student to fill all positions. Green said the Assembly will select a permanent chair in the fall.

Dean Krishna '01 was approved as chair of the Student Organizations Committee, but Assembly Vice President-elect Case Dorkey '99 told The Dartmouth after the meeting Krishna's selection is pending on continued talks with the College's Committee On Student Organizations, the main group the chair of that committee deals with.

Green nominated David Parker '00 as chair of the Communications Committee, but the Assembly rejected the nomination. Green told The Dartmouth he was "disappointed" in the Assembly's decision.

"There were constructive concerns expressed and I'll take them into account when I nominate a new chair," Green said. The Assembly will fill the position at a third meeting this term.

Green also announced his nominations for the chairs of the Summer Assembly. Green nominated Ruley as chair and Kelly Bodio '00 as vice-chair.

The Membership and Internal Affairs Committee will vote on those nominations this week.