'World Goes 'Round' provides upbeat, charming fun

The difficulty with musical revue performances is that without a plot, it becomes difficult for vocalists to maintain the same amount of energy as can be conveyed in a typical plot-driven theater production. Without a consistent momentum throughout, the revue can become a flop, and the various musical pieces can seem to have nothing in common.

But in last night's "The World Goes 'Round" in Bentley Theater, the performers and director Marc Bruni '99, for the most part, overcame these hazards and displayed a flowing show reflecting the power of composers John Kander's and Fred Ebb's music.

Known for such plays as "Cabaret," "Kiss of the Spider Woman" and "Chicago," Kander and Ebb have had one of the longest careers of any composing duo and have been credited with keeping the Broadway musical alive.

Instead of the standard raised Bentley stage, Bruni decided to have vocalists perform the bulk of the work on the floor below the stage with audience members surrounding them. With the orchestra on the raised stage, this brings the audience much closer to the performance and creates a very intimate setting for the show.

Beginning with the title song, the show then progresses to a creatively choreographed "Coffee in a Cardboard Cup." This tune makes the performance ensemble's effective cohesiveness manifest from the very beginning. The choreography and music are ideal choices because of the high-energy and fast-paced tone. The coffee's "fast-forward" effect on the vocalists is amusing.

Freshman Emily Schoonmaker's presentation of "Colored Lights," a stark contrast from the previous piece, follows. During the song, Schoonmaker certainly displayed the talent to transmit a powerful performance, but the orchestra plainly overplayed its background, and Schoonmaker's voice seemed tentative at this point in the show.

Later in the show though, the song "Isn't This Better" gave her the opportunity to illustrate to the audience what they missed in the first piece. Hopefully, in subsequent performances, the orchestra will learn to cool down and let Schoonmaker thrive.

The following performance of "Sara Lee" by Jim McNicholas '01 helped bring the rest of the show to its peak. McNicholas has a smooth voice that leaves audiences wishing for more and a stage presence that results in smiles throughout the theater. In conjunction with clever Oatmeal Creme Pie choreography by Erin Fuse '99, "Sara Lee" can be described only as simply funny. Later in the show, McNicholas treats everyone again in a duet with Stacey Morris '99, who also does a fine job.

Chad Goodridge '01 steals the spotlight by acting out "Arthur in the Afternoon," sung by Jen Nycz '00. Goodridge creates a lively portrayal of "Arthur" with chic sunglasses; he is entertaining and energetic. When he returns for his own solo in a later piece, his stage presence continues its evidence.

Like Schoonmaker, Nycz seemed a little bewildered at the beginning of the piece, but by the end was belting out the tune with surprising finesse. Nycz really shines in the provocative "All That Jazz" and the hard-hitting "Maybe This Time." If Nycz sings her first piece like the second two in upcoming performances, her display will be hard to beat.

The show's jewel is certainly the duet performance of Jason Fleming '98 and Bruni. Fleming's voice is warm, feeling and goosebump-invoking. Not to be out-done, Bruni is equally strong and together they make the perfect duet.

The show ends very strongly with an arrangement of "Cabaret" that would have put my high school musical director to shame (sorry Mrs. Davis) and a boisterous, ultra-politically correct rendition of "New York, New York" that will leave audiences laughing.

This weekend, parents and students alike will enjoy a look at Bruni's "The World Goes 'Round." Shows are at 8 p.m. in Bentley Theater tonight and Saturday.