Trustees meet in Boston

The Board of Trustees will be holding its Spring term meeting in Boston this weekend to address the College's search for a new president.

According to Trustee Chairman Stephen Bosworth '61, U.S. Ambassador to South Korea, the presidential search will be the "major focus" of the meeting. In addition, the Trustees will discuss "the same routine stuff" which is brought up at every meeting.

The Monday following the Spring term Trustee meeting in 1987, which was held in Hartford, Conn., the Board announced the appointment of College President James Freedman at a faculty meeting.

The Trustees usually hold their meetings at the College, but they "periodically meet outside of Hanover" for either their February or April meetings, Bosworth said.

Various factors are considered in deciding whether or not to meet in Hanover, and where to meet if not at the College. Such factors as weather, accessibility and convenience for the Trustees are taken into account when deciding where to hold the meeting, Bosworth said.

In the past, the Trustees have met in New Haven, Conn., New York City and Washington, D.C., he said.

When asked about the series of resignations of top College administrators that followed College President James Freedman's resignation announcement in September, Bosworth said he did not think it is a big concern.

"To some extent, it's normal with the impending change in the presidency," he said.

Many of the officials joined the College under Freedman's administration and feel "it's time to move on," Bosworth said.

He said the Trustees feel the College is in good shape at present. Bosworth added that the Board hopes to see the open positions filled within the next few months.

The change in administrators can also be healthy for the College, Bosworth said.

"It's good to have a steady influx of new blood and new ideas," he said.

In addition to Freedman, four other top College officials have announced their resignations since September: Provost Jim Wright, Dean of the College Lee Pelton, Dean of Residential Life Mary Turco and Vice President and Treasurer Lyn Hutton.