SA calls for change in printing policy

The Student Assembly passed a joint resolution with the class councils last night calling for the Director of Computing Services Lawrence Levine to rescind the new printing policies at Kiewit Center.

The resolution discusses changes that dictate how often and in what quantity documents printed at Kiewit's public printer cluster are distributed to students.

Documents printed at Kiewit's public printer cluster are no longer sorted and available for pickup on a continual basis. Instead, under guidelines posted March 30, the printouts are collated and filed every half hour. In addition, Kiewit employees have started enforcing a policy prohibiting multiple copies of a single document.

The Assembly's resolution does not discuss a recent change in Kiewit policy. According to the guidelines posted yesterday, documents will be sorted during the 15 minutes prior to start of every class, in addition to the regular collations on the half hour.

The resolution states that the changes make it inconvenient for students to effectively do their work and are in conflict with the values of class equality and privacy.

It states that students financially unable to purchase a printer are at a disadvantage compared with those who own printers and can more effectively edit and revise their work.

The Assembly also calls into question whether Kiewit employees were reading personal documents in order to determine if multiple copies were printed.

The resolution also states that many printouts were withheld from students because they were erroneously believed to be exact copies, when minor differences actually existed.