People are Racists

People are racists. Yup, it's true. Even you, the person reading this, are one. It's kind of scary when you think about it -- every time you meet somebody of a different race, you can't help wondering if the other person is seeing a representative of a race or actually you, the person. You look at your friends of various ethnicities and can't help but wonder.

People are racists to a degree. No one can really hate all races, cultures and ethnicities. Some hate less than others. Some just don't want to be around certain races and consider it their personal preference. No person is without prejudice or racist thoughts. Examples of such are everywhere. Look at cliques in schools and various social settings. Do you see people congregating according to their race? Just look at yourself. Do you find yourself not associating with a particular race or ethnicity? Do you feel self-conscious and uncomfortable when you are with those who are not of your own race?

Everybody is racist because of their environment. I am not going to go into some philosophical discussion on the nature of man, but it is generally accepted that one's environment plays a big part in one's life. It starts with little things. A mother may derogatively comment on one race or nationality, and her child may remember it for years to come. A child may hear or see something that misrepresents a race or nationality and generalize the negatively associated trait with one race or nationality. It is almost inevitable that a child will grow up with prejudices.

In today's age of political-correctness, no one dares to say anything "insensitive," for it might be construed as racist. If one did, the whole community would be up in arms or set up panels for "discussions." Gee, I wonder what the panels would say. Maybe condemn racists?! Gasp! Some schools even ban Mark Twain's books because the books have racial epithets. Or a college may ban its traditional college mascot, the Indian, because it may seem insensitive to Native Americans. Such hypersensitivity makes people feel better about themselves, and they pat themselves on the back for being so enlightened. They think that they helped rid racism from society.

When one thinks of racism, one usually associates it with white people discriminating against black people (Whoops, was I supposed to call them Caucasians and African-Americans?). That is not true. I can name at least five derogatory words in Korean for Japanese and four for Chinese. I am told that other Asian cultures have equally as many bad words for other ethnicities. There are derogatory words to describe Caucasians as well. Minorities discriminate against the majority as well.

It is definitely wrong to be racist, but today's trend of racial hypersensitivity is not the path to a prejudice-free society. Does it really matter if we call an African-American a black person? I often laugh at people who want to know what "ethnicity" I belong to. Some people don't know the way to phrase it, and I don't blame them. They ask, "what is your background," "where are you from" or even "what are you?" Our society hides racism and hopes that it will go away by changing words that we use. It won't. There is no direct confrontation with the evils of racism, because people are afraid to say anything remotely controversial or that may seem racist. We only preach tolerance, not acceptance. The lines between races are drawn and emphasized everyday. Races sets themselves apart from other races, and even our government encourages it through its laws.

First, admit that you have prejudices and that you're wrong. Then do something about it. Do you hate Hispanics because they looted your store in the L.A. riot? Then go down to Mexico, take up Spanish or make a Hispanic friend. Do you hate blacks because you were mugged by one? Then make black friends or associate yourself more black people. It may sound repugnant to you at first, but you'll be glad you did. Admit you're wrong, make an effort to prove yourself wrong and do something instead of seething in your hate.

I don't profess to have all the answers, but we are evolving and making progress. Forty years ago, segregation still existed, and racism was rampant. However, we are nowhere near effectively dealing with racism. Just look at the affirmative action controversy and state-wide propositions like California's 209. Racism will always exist, and people will fear what they don't understand or those they see as different from themselves. We should make an effort to understand, even those who are racists, and to see ourselves as human beings first.