Kenyon '97 pleads not guilty to assault

Jonathan Kenyon '97 pleaded not guilty yesterday morning to charges of simple assault stemming from an alleged incident with a female sophomore on South Main Street Saturday night.

Kenyon allegedly ran into the student, who was walking with another female friend near The Gap clothing store, around 10:30 p.m. He eventually pinned her against the handrail to the stairs in front of the store "for no apparent reason," according to the Hanover police.

After she pushed him away, he fled the scene, according to the police.

"I was walking down the street, and I was in front of The Gap with my friend," said the girl, who did not wish to be identified. "We were coming from from Videostop."

She said he grabbed her by the face and pushed her with his body. She said she had bruises on her legs from being pushed against the handrail.

"He smelled pretty drunk," she said. "I was able to get him off me. He started running, yelling and screaming with his hands in the air. I've never seen him before in my life."

At approximately 11:10 p.m. that night, Kenyon was arrested for a causing a false fire alarm in Zimmerman residence hall. The victim then identified him as the assailant, according the Hanover Police.

Kenyon pleaded not guilty to both the assault and the false fire alarm charges yesterday.

Kenyon spent Saturday night in the Grafton County Jail after he was unable to pay for his $2500 cash bail, according to the police. He later made bail before appearing in court yesterday for his arraignment.

His trial for both charges was set for May 20.

Kenyon's lawyer, William Whitten of Lebanon, said he was "hoping to resolve the matter," but declined any further comments.

"I think it was a pretty stupid drunk act," the victim said. "He didn't really seem very sober in any meanings of the word."

Kenyon graduated last year, but remained at the College, working in the pediatrics department at the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and serving as an assistant coach for the water polo team.

Kenyon was captain of the swim team and water polo teams his senior year.

He could not be reached for comment.