DJ Jasson Walker '98 hopes for music life after fraternity parties

Laid-back and cool, DJ Jasson Walker '98 is as smooth in real life as his fraternity party mixes are.

The 21-year-old mathematics major from the Bronx, N.Y., came to Dartmouth four years ago with the intentions of being pre-med, "like 99 percent of the other freshmen," he said. "But, I didn't really like the material so I changed my plans."

As he reclined back in his chair in his room furnished with vinyl records and discussed the College, it seemed apparent that he had made the right choice in his selection of Dartmouth, but also that he had the type of adaptable personality which could make him happy anywhere.

"I just dug the vibe up here. Each time I came up, the people here were so cool," he said about his visits after he had been admitted through the early decision program. "I also dug the D-Plan, and of course the academics are top-notch."

Regarded as the best DJ on campus, Walker began his musical career at the College through his participation in the World Music Percussion Ensemble from his freshman fall through his junior winter.

He left the ensemble, amongst other reasons, to pursue his true passion of DJing. He generally works a party every weekend and has worked at other colleges and off-campus affairs.

It all started when Walker did a favor during his Sophomore summer and DJed a barbecue for a friend. The following fall, Walker's friend, David Avila '97, brought turntables to the College and, as they say, the rest is history.

Walker said he hopes someone will "step up and take over." Things look optimistic as he pointed out that several people have approached him to talk about his work.

In his spare time, which seems few and far between judging by his commitments, the man that his friends call "Dash" called himself a "real computer freak" and a big New York Mets fan.

Those people he looks up to include DJ Rectangle and DJ Q-Bert, two California-based DJs who he probably correctly asserted few people would know by name. But, he was quick to point out that his only true idol is his mother because "she always kept things together for me, despite the fact that I was always a good boy."

His honest charm makes it hard not to believe him.

It almost turned into a challenge to break his assured self-confidence and therefore the questions turned gradually harder in an attempt to peer deeper into the senior's personality.

When asked for three words to describe himself, he used the aforementioned "laid-back," the obvious "genuine" and the paradox of both "reserved and volatile." He feels as though he has control over both emotions but that he is very capable of expressing either one.

His unshakable confidence shone through even under the most abstract of questions. When asked what type of tree he might be in another life, he smiled willfully and without missing a beat said "a maple: because people always tell me I am sweet."

One of his closest friends, Thomas Bertha '98, described Walker succinctly.

"The thing that I respect most about Dash is that he will always give it to you straight -- no matter how sensitive the topic may be. He's the type of person that through thick and thin I've been able to approach about school, family and just life."

Walker has also been very active in producing his own music, including a mix tape that will debut sometime this month. He said it will represent the first time people will be able to hear his music since he doesn't play his own at parties.

As for his future as a DJ, Walker said he will continue after college "on the side, but I don't want to have to rely on DJing to keep milk in my fridge."

The senior, who has recently accepted a radio show on WDCR at nights, comes across not only as laid-back but as extremely honest. He seemed to think deeply about every question and its response yet maintained a wide, but very frank smile throughout the interview.

It was not surprising, then, when Walker said the best advice he has ever received was to "Be yourself."