Demko wins prestigious award

Charles University in the Czech Republic of Prague awarded Geography Professor George Demko the Jubilee Gold Medal for achievements in his field last week.

Demko, who is presently teaching on the geography department's Foreign Study Program to Prague, received the prestigious award in recognition of, among other accomplishments, "his significant lifetime contributions to the sum of geographic knowledge," according to a press release.

He has worked "over 35 years to promote international understanding and cooperation across international boundaries and despite ideological barriers," according to the release.

"His efforts have earned him a global reputation as a humanitarian leader of the global geographic community," it states.

Charles University was founded by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV in 1348.

The University is celebrating its 650th anniversary, and the awarding of the Jubilee Medals is part of this celebration. Noted figures such as former playwright and present Czech President Vaclav Havel spoke at anniversary activities last week.

Besides his work at the College as a professor since 1989, Demko is also past president of the Association of American Geographers and executive director of the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies.

He was The Geographer for the U.S. Department of State from 1982 to 1989. From 1989 to 1994, Demko served as head of the College's Rockefeller Center.

Demko is also a member of the Graduate Scholarship Committee, which interviews candidates for Rhodes, Marshall and Fulbright Scholarships.

In addition to his study of geography, Demko has also conducted research on Meniere syndrome, with which he is afflicted. He has also researched and written several geography-related books.