Assembly elects new committee members

At last night's meeting, the Student Assembly elected two new members to its Membership and Internal Affairs Committee, partially approved a change to its constitution, making it easier for representatives of student organizations to gain membership, and passed two funding resolutions.

Ed Bialas '01 and Scott Jacobs '99 were elected to fill the two vacant seats on the MIAC. The elections were postponed at last week's meeting to ascertain whether or not a particular member was interested in running.

The Assembly passed part of a constitutional change, which eliminated the requirement that representatives from College-recognized student organizations collect signatures in order to be members of the Assembly.

Sponsors of the amendment, including newly elected Vice-President James Gallo '99, said one of the reasons for the change was to make the Assembly more inclusive and representative of the student body.

The final clause of the amendment, which would have prohibited the MIAC from denying membership to organizations' representatives, was tabled due to concerns among members, including Athena Lentini '01, that it would allow access to the committee by members who weren't serious about Assembly affairs.

"It will tie the hands of the Assembly ... and might cause emergency situations," Lentini said.

The Assembly voted to spend $950 to print laminated "Student Rights" cards, which will inform members of the community about the rights of students, Safety and Security and Hanover Police.

Despite initial questions by Ezekiel Webber '00 about the possibility of the cards fostering an adversarial role between students and Safety and Security, and questions about the mode of distribution, the resolution passed unanimously.

The Assembly also approved $150 in funds to provide technological equipment for an upcoming AIDS Dance-A-Thon at the College.

Members elected Jorge Miranda '01 to chair the student organizations committee, filling a vacancy created when Gallo was elected vice president last week.