Assembly describes final Visions product

At its meeting last night, the Student Assembly updated the Visions project, passed two constitutional amendments regarding executive offices and failed to gather the necessary votes to approve a third.

Greg Chittim '01, co-chair of the Visions committee, detailed what the executive summary of the Visions project will look like when presented to President-elect James Wright.

He said it will list areas of student concern the Assembly feels should be addressed by the new president but will not present him with even consistent student opinions on those areas.

"It will summarize major themes seen throughout the Visions ... but will only discuss areas of concern, not the majority opinion on each of those issues," Chittim said. He said Wright will also receive a book of all submitted Visions to accompany the summary.

In addition, the Assembly approved the new executive position of presidential advisor. The position was created to ease the workload that Assembly President Frode Eilertsen '99 said caused him to "come close to resigning," and which caused Nahoko Kawakyu '99 to leave the vice presidency last term.

The assistant will be selected by the president.

Previous concerns about the amendment were changed in the version approved last night. The title, originally chief of staff, was changed due to member concerns that the previous name didn't accurately reflect the role of the position.

The amendment was also changed to limit the president's choices for the position to voting members of the Assembly. Case Dorkey '99 initially said he was concerned about confidentiality at closed executive meetings if non-voting members were allowed to hold the new position.

The Assembly also approved an amendment which would dictate the time at which the positions of treasurer and secretary are elected by the Assembly.

Under the new provision, election of treasurer and secretary will occur at the second meeting in order that non-elected members, approved by the newly elected Membership and Internal Affairs Committee after the first meeting, can vote for the executive positions.

The Assembly rejected a third amendment which would have made it more difficult for members removed from the Assembly to be reinstated, by requiring a four-fifths vote of the MIAC.

Elections for next year's Assembly, Committee on Standards, Class Council and Green Key Society positions will take place online from 9 a.m. today to 5 p.m. Thursday at www.dartmouth.edu/projects/elections.