Oscar time: It's never too early to make predictions: 'Titanic' may have the most nominations, but not in some key categories, leaving the statue up for grabs

This year's Academy Award nominations have officially brought Hollywood back to the spotlight after being upstaged by smaller, independent films in 1996. Leading the pack is the gargantuan record-breaking box office and critical hit, "Titanic," a film that has single-handedly returned faith to the Hollywood system. The blockbuster is expected to sweep the Oscars, but should it?

Although the ceremonies are not until March 23, it is never to early to start forecasting the results. Here is a list of what will win, and what should win.

Best Adapted Screenplay

The competition should be fierce in this non-"Titanic" dominated category. The winners will probably be Brian Helgeland and Curtis Hanson for their "L.A. Confidential" screenplay. This has traditionally become the consolation category, and with "L.A. Confidential" being one of the best reviewed films of the year, a screenplay award would be the Academy's nod to the film's accomplishments.

Still, while "L.A. Confidential" is an excellent film, the winner should be David Mamet and Hilary Henkin's searing screenplay for "Wag the Dog." This sharp and timely script is so knowing, smart and biting that to ignore it would be a true crime. Special mention should be made for Atom Egoyan's multi-layered and poetic "The Sweet Hereafter."

Best Original Screenplay

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are the likely winners in this category for "Good Will Hunting." Everyone loves the fairy tale story of two good friends who wrote a screenplay and now are two of the hottest young actors in Hollywood. Are these strong criteria for awarding an Oscar? No. Do they deserve it? Yes.

It just so happens that this well-hyped screenplay is intelligent, funny and touching with some very memorable lines and scenes. Although, it should be noted that the screenplay just narrowly edges out Woody Allen's "Deconstructing Harry" which is one of his best works to date.

Best Supporting Actress

If Gloria Stewart wins for her brief role in "Titanic," then we know that the voters are simply jumping on the bandwagon, or the boat, I should say. Luckily, the favorite is Kim Basinger for her work in "L.A. Confidential." She's good, but doesn't have much to work with.

Minnie Driver should win in this category with Julianne Moore ("Boogie Nights") in a close second place. Driver brings sophistication and fragility to her role as a Harvard girl in "Good Will Hunting." Her squeals of glee, her looks of puzzlement and her hearty laugh all have a ring of truth.

Best Supporting Actor

Why Al Pacino wasn't nominated is beyond me. His role in "Donnie Brasco" was the single best piece of acting in all of 1997. However, the other nominees aren't so bad themselves.

Robin Williams is expected to win for "Good Will Hunting," and he should. The actor uses remarkable restraint to express inner-pain and wisdom. After seeing him in a bunch of sappy roles, we are reminded that Williams is a great actor.

Best Actress

This category is something of a free for all. Some say that Helen Hunt will win, others Kate Winslet ("Titanic") and still others Helena Bonham Carter ("Wings of the Dove").

In the end, Hunt should be rewarded for her work in "As Good As It Gets." Although she brings the typical Hunt intonations to her role, she is remarkably effective as a bright woman trapped in a hard life. She has a natural grace in this film and moves from one emotion to another effortlessly and realistically.

Best Actor

There is no clear cut favorite in this highly competitive category. Perhaps Jack Nicholson has a slight edge, but Peter Fonda ("Ulee's Gold"), Dustin Hoffman ("Wag the Dog"), Robert Duvall ("The Apostle") and even Matt Damon have enough hype to snatch the prize.

Who should it be? Nicholson. In "As Good as It Gets," he tackles a very complex, tricky and irascible character and makes him likable. Nicholson captures all the necessary nuances of the role without overplaying for easy jokes and comic effect.

Best Director

James Cameron will win this Oscar hands down for his work in "Titanic." He did an impressive job managing to keep all his loose ends in place and creating a box office hit out of a potentially lethal three-hour-long period piece. And he recently won Best Director from the Directors Guild of American, whose winners always go on to take the Oscar. Still, while Cameron deserves credit, he doesn't deserve the Oscar.

The award should go to Atom Egoyan for his strong and moving film, "The Sweet Hereafter." As a director, Egoyan is able to bring a rich, textured quality to this multi-faceted picture. His fluid style and firm grasp of tragedy take this film to a level of depth that "Titanic" never reaches.

Best Picture

"Titanic" will, beyond a doubt, land this year's coveted Oscar for Best Picture. However, the award should really go to "L.A. Confidential." Although I ranked it after "As Good As It Gets" and "Good Will Hunting" on my top ten of 1997, I have since seen the film again. Watching it again, I could concentrate less on the plot and more on the cinematic aspects of the picture.

As a result, my opinion has improved significantly. "L.A. Confidential" is a slick film that is as much about a complex crime story as it is about three distinct characters, a city undergoing serious change and the ideals of loyalty and devotion. "L.A. Confidential" is directed with a swift and skillful hand and has a sharp screenplay to flaunt. Out of the five nominees, it is the most deserving of the Oscar for Best Picture.