Man seen in Streeter women's bathroom

Several apparently related incidents of vandalism have occurred in the second-floor women's restroom of Streeter residence hall over the past four weekends.

Hanover Police Department Chief Nick Giaccone said this past Saturday a female in Streeter reported seeing an unidentified male in the women's bathroom at 4:30 a.m.

Giaccone said he only has record of this past Saturday's incident and does not have the other incidents on file.

Katherine Miller '01, who lives on the second floor of Streeter, said someone defecated on one of the toilet rims and in a shower stall and ejaculated on the bathroom floor in a series of incidents last month.

Miller said she heard about the first defecation incident, which was about four weeks ago, from her undergraduate advisor. She said her UGA sent the floor's residents an e-mail message demanding an explanation for the vandalism.

Miller said there was a "whole yucky thing of poop on the back rim of one of the toilets, as if somebody sort of missed and sat too far back." She said she does not think anyone on the floor would have vandalized the bathroom like that.

Two weeks ago, someone, perhaps the same individual, defecated next to the drain in the shower stall, Miller said. She said some women who live on the floor cleaned it with bleach and disinfectants. "We all have shower shoes now," she said.

Last weekend, Miller said, semen and several condoms were found by the trash can in the same second floor bathroom. A student who lives on the floor cleaned the mess, she said.

Miller said some of the floor residents think the vandalism may have been a prank, or a fraternity "pledge thing."

Acting Associate Dean of the Office of Residential Life Mary Liscinsky would not comment on the specific incidents because they are still under investigation, but she did say no one has been hurt. She said the incidents have occurred only on weekends.

Liscinsky did not have any suspects at the time of interview.

She said a meeting will be held tonight "to get the Gold Coast community involved." Liscinsky, Area Director of West Campus Anne Janeway, Director of Residential Operations Woody Eckels, representatives from the department of Safety and Security and residents of the Gold Coast will attend.

Miller said the Streeter second floor residents have had many meetings to discuss the incidents and many students hope the College will install a lock on the bathroom.

Safety and Security officers have stepped up their patrol of the floor and all of the floor residents are being more careful about locking their doors, she said.

In an unrelated incident, a student who wished to remain anonymous woke up early this past Saturday to find vomit on the door of his first-floor room in Hinman residence hall.

He said he was asleep at the time and woke up when he heard people talking. The student then discovered the vomit.