Boraz to be new rabbi for College

Edward Boraz has been named the new College rabbi and Jewish Chaplain for Hillel, the College's Jewish students' organization, and the Upper Valley Jewish Community following a year-long search in which the committee responsible scrapped its initial efforts in November and appointed a temporary rabbi last term.

Former College Rabbi Daniel Siegel announced his resignation in February of 1997 after 10 years at the College.

The search committee unanimously selected Boraz, who is a graduate of Hebrew Union College and has served as rabbi for the Bnai Tzedek congregation in Cincinnati for eight years.

Philip Posner, the interim rabbi, will serve until Boraz takes over this summer.

The search committee consisted of Dean of the Tucker Foundation Scott Brown, Dean of First-Year Students Peter Goldsmith, Upper Valley Jewish Community representative Rebecca Gottesman, Physics Professor Jane Lipson, Computer Science Professor Cliff Stein and former president of Hillel Shirley Sperling '98.

Boraz was ordained as a reform rabbi and is currently serving a "rather strict conservative congregation," UVJC President Morton Wise said.

Wise said Boraz was "much more than a reform rabbi" because of his vast experience with other types of Judaism. "We feel that he will be comfortable in any type of service."

Boraz said he has had extensive exposure to all branches of Judaism and said he is "very excited" to come to Dartmouth with his wife of 25 years and his two children.

"It's a wonderful opportunity on two levels. On one level, there are the students, and on the other, the Upper Valley Jewish Community," he said.

"They have created something which is really quite unique," he said of the interaction between Hillel and the Upper Valley Jewish Community.

He said his aim is to bring Hillel and the Upper Valley Jewish Community together even more. "For development and growth, I think it's a very good time to be at Dartmouth."

Boraz said he read about the opening at the College in the Central Conference of American Rabbis Bulletin and "the opportunity to come to Dartmouth caught my attention."

Wise said he was "extremely impressed and very happy" that Boraz had been chosen.

He said there is a unanimous feeling among Jewish students and faculty and the Upper Valley Jewish Community that the choice is correct. "I hadn't heard anything but great things about him."

Hillel President Justin Mandel '00 described Boraz as well-informed about the different branches of Judaism.

"Everyone was very pleased to have him up here and to talk to him," he said.

Sperling said the Jewish community was very happy with the choice. Since Hillel is not affiliated with any particular form of Judaism, it "wanted someone who could cater to a diverse Jewish community," she said.

Boraz described Dartmouth's surroundings as a "very beautiful part of the country" and said he is glad he will be serving as a rabbi in an academic environment.