Three soloists unite to form Celtic Fiddle Festival

This evening the Hopkins Center will be echoing with the sounds of faraway shores when the Celtic Fiddle Festival combines the sounds of three distinct but related Celtic traditions into one delightful concert.

The Celtic Fiddle Festival is not a group as most groups go. It is a collection of individual artists temporarily joining forces, much to the thrill of audiences everywhere (as well as their own). Originally brought together in 1992, the three have toured the United States several times since.

The soloist fiddlers lay claim to different regions of the Celtic world. Separately, each has a distinct regional and artistic style. Together, they subtly blend into one full-blooded Celtic force.

Kevin Burke was born in London to Irish parents from County Sligo. His first trip to the United States was back in the 1970s, when he played on Arlo Guthrie's "Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys." He has since performed with several noteworthy Irish groups, including Bothy Band and Patrick Street.

Johnny Cunningham, originally from Portobello, Scotland, brings the Scottish element to the trio. A founding member of the Scottish group Silly Wizard, he has more recently played with Scottish groups such as Relativity, and has even dabbled in rock 'n roll, touring with Don Henley, Bob Dylan and Warren Zevon.

Christian Lemaitre is from the Celtic region of Brittany, France, and specializes in the traditional music for festou-noz (festive night dances). He has toured with such groups as Kornog and Pennou Skoulin and performs extensively through out rural France.

The Celtic Fiddle Festival is usually joined by a talented guitarist. This evening, guitarist Tony McManus will be performing with them.

"A treasurable meeting of minds, music and cultural roots, this collaboration between premier league fiddlers lays on a four-course feast of choice Celtic delicacies," declared one reviewer for The Scotsman.

The first course in a typical concert begins with a series of solos. Hearing each fiddler alone, the audience quickly understands the musical characteristics that set these three heritages apart.

Burke's intricate Sligo is full of fluid, yet clear-cut, ornamental trills, sliding notes and double-stops. His notes are alternately drawling and upbeat, marked with an easy swinging rhythm.

Cunningham, elaborating on virtually everything, bounces flamboyantly through dazzling reels and eloquent airs. With a full-bodied tone, he is at times gently contemplative, but always threatening to explode with fiery passion.

Lemaitre, in contrast, expresses a lighter, cadenced lyricism. His melodies often have a haunting, darker touch to them, and even his more animated rondes display a refined elegance.

Following the series of solos, the three fiddlers are joined by their guitarist (McManus). Spurring each other, the four artists work themselves into an infectious frenzy as notes tumble over each other in exuberance.

A unique feature of the Festival is their concentration on Celtic tradition in its broad form. "It [is not] like going to hear a Scottish group, or an Irish singer or band," Burke said. "It [is] focusing on the violin..." and the great overlap in their approach to music.

Almost as unifying as their Celtic heritage is the trio's love for, and accomplishment on, their fiddles. The lively and evocative notes are effortlessly spun off from each instrument. Equally as enjoyable as listening is simply watching, in awe, as each speeds his bow across the strings and amazingly keeps his fingers flying at the same breakneck speed.

Ideally, most Celtic music should not be heard in a concert hall. The jigs and reels are to be danced, and the airs and ballads intended to be felt in the heart, not passively listened to.

With three fiddlers as talented as these, however, it is certain that the audience will find the enchanting music throbbing in their own veins before the night is over, whether or not there is Celtic blood there to begin with. But they will throw in the jigs and reels just in case.

The Celtic Fiddle Festival is performing tonight at 8 p.m. in Spaulding Auditorium.