Women have big Wednesday

Dartmouth College sent the women's squash and women's swimming and diving teams across the border last night and they both returned with convincing victories.

The squash team easily handled the squad from Middlebury College, 9-0. Meanwhile in Burlington, the swim team defeated UVM, 124-92. But, that contest was almost a draw.

Electricity problems delayed the meet, but the lights eventually came back on, preventing, much to the dismay of the REM fans in the audience, any "Nightswimming."

Double winners for the Big Green were Lisa Parrington '00 and Kristen Podolak '01. Parrington captured first in the 200 freestyle and the 100 backstroke, while Podolak was the winner of the 200 Individual Medley and the 100 freestyle.

Elissa McDuffie '01 touched the wall first in the 100 butterfly while Wendy Simon '98 did the same in 50 freestyle.

The Big Green also placed first in the 200 medley relay.

In the diving portion of the competition, Courtney Dubois '99 captured first in 1-meter diving.

With the victory, the Big Green improved to 4-4, and will have a tough test against Ivy rivals Pennsylvania and Yale on Saturday.

Yale went undefeated last season in the Ivy League standings, going a perfect 7-0. Meanwhile, the Quakers finished last season at 0-7. Pennsylvania was the only Ivy squad that Dartmouth defeated last season.

In the Eastern Championships last year, Dartmouth finished eighth, while the Bulldogs and Quakers finished third and 10th, respectively.

This year's Easterns will be held at Harvard on Feb. 26-28

While the swim team evened its record, the squash team was busy setting school records.

With its 9-0 victory over Middlebury, Dartmouth won its school-record eighth match in a row and upped its current mark to 11-1. Eleven wins is also a record for any Big Green squad.

The Big Green cruised to victory, dominating every match. Each match was won by a score of 9-0. Laurie Sykes '99 led the team with a win at No. 1, while teammate Heather Duckworth '98 garnered a win in the second slot.

While this type of victory is always welcome, Dartmouth might have been hoping for a bit more of a test from Middlebury as they welcome Ivy rivals Princeton, Pennsylvania and Harvard in the coming week.

These matches do not figure to be easy ones for the Big Green. The Crimson are 65-0 in the past five years under head coach Bill Doyle.

Meanwhile, Princeton finished 8-1 last season with their only defeat coming at the hands of the Crimson. Dartmouth's best opportunity at a victory should be Sunday against the Quakers who lost to both Harvard and Princeton on their way to a 7-2 record a year ago. The Big Green were 1-4 in the Ivy League and 9-4 overall last season.