Winter rush numbers remain even for men

The number of men joining fraternities this winter stayed about the same as last year, although the number of men rushing rose.

While the majority of eligible men choose to rush fraternities in the fall, some choose to wait until winter before rushing or sinking their bids.

Psi Upsilon fraternity's rush chair, Adam Dietz '98, said winter rush gives men who were off campus in the fall a chance to join a fraternity.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity president Paul Killebrew '99 said a few more men rushed SAE than at this time last year, but there was not a significant rise in men who actually sank bids, with four men sinking this winter.

Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity received the most visitors for winter rush this year with 11 men visiting. According to Sig Ep, five of the men sank their bids.

Chi Gamma Epsilon also had a fairly large group for winter with eight men rushing and six sinking their bids.

At Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity, five men rushed, four were offered bids and all of them sank.

According to Brian Mosley '98, Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity had eight men rush, and six sank bids there.

Theta Delta Chi fraternity saw seven men rush, of which two received bids. Theta Delt had one more night of sinking, so they were still unsure if they would have new members.

Psi Upsilon fraternity had six men rush and ended up adding two new men to their house.

Chi Heorot fraternity did not hold a winter rush. Heorot President Christopher Emond '99 said the house was happy with the class they had in the fall, so they did not feel the need to hold rush again.

Kappa Kappa Kappa fraternity's rush chair, Andrew Park '00, said "lack of interest" was the reason Tri-Kap did not hold rush this term.

Gamma Delta Chi also cited lack of interest as the reason it did not hold rush this winter. The house did not feel the need to hold rush because "there had been four rushes in a row," Gamma Delt President Adam Young '99 said.

Sigma Nu fraternity and Zeta Psi fraternity were unsure of their rush figures at the time of publishing.

Alpha Delta fraternity, Bones Gate fraternity and Phi Delta Alpha fraternity declined to comment.