College plans MLK Day events

The College will commemorate Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday with a series of events and speakers next week from Sunday to Wednesday.

Dartmouth's 20th annual celebration of King's birthday will include a keynote address by University of Pennsylvania Law Professor Lani Guinier. The outspoken proponent of affirmative action will give a lecture titled "Chaos or Community" in the Hopkins Center at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Guinier gained national recognition when President Bill Clinton nominated her to head the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division in 1993. However, her controversial views on proportional representation of minorities were not popular in the Senate and Clinton withdrew the nomination later that year.

The evening of Guinier's speech, the Nugget will host a free midnight screening of Stephen Spielberg's new film, "Amistad," for Dartmouth undergraduates. The movie tells the story of rebellion by passengers on a slave ship 1839 slave ship revolt.

Also on Sunday, at 10:30 a.m., a service in Rollins Chapel will commemorate King and Christian unity.

From noon to 7 p.m. on Monday, the Collis Center will host "The Dream at Dartmouth," a student-run event, including an activism fair, a Campus of Difference workshop and a program for students to write letters to the future president of the College.

The celebration continues the following day with a production of "Having Our Say: The Delaney Sisters' First 100 Years." The play, an adaptation of the best-selling book, will begin at 8 p.m. in Spaulding auditorium.

The events will culminate with a dinner at Collis Common Ground 6 p.m. on Wednesday. Eurmon Hervy, founder of Clarksdale, Mississippi's REACH Institute, an academic enrichment program founded to give educational opportunities to high school students. Hervy will bring five of his students with him and speak about the importance of getting involved.

Associate Director of Student Activities Linda Kennedy said that the event is not just about racial inequality, but about "social justice and helping people achieve all they can."