Assembly to meet with Palaeopitus

The Student Assembly discussed plans last night to meet with Palaeopitus and the Presidential Search Committee to examine traits the groups are looking for in the College's next president.

The Assembly and Palaeopitus, a senior honor society that offers suggestions to the administration, will present ideas to the Search Committee about what to look for in presidential candidates, according to Case Dorkey '99, Assembly vice president of administrative and faculty relations.

In the meeting, scheduled for Sunday, the Assembly and Palaeopitus will expand on issues they introduced in a fall discussion with the Search Committee. At that discussion, the Assembly presented a list of issues the president will have to address.

The Assembly has expanded on each of the five major challenges it believes the new president will face, including issues of social life and the mission of the College, Dorkey said.

The document the Assembly will present to the committee includes background on each issue, specific problems, suggestions about how to resolve the problems and "buzz words" a presidential candidate able to deal with the issues might use to express him or herself, Dorkey said.

Rachel Gilliar '98, a co-chair of Palaeopitus, said the new president will have to play a more active and visible role in campus life in order to address the issues Palaeopitus has deemed its priorities, such as sexism and racism.

"We would like to see a president who seems actively concerned about other aspects of student life, in addition to intellectual life," Gilliar said.

In other business, the Assembly will post its response to the recommendations of the College Committee on Alcohol and Other Drugs on its website early next week, according to Dave Gacioch '00, who chairs the Assembly's student life committee.