Trustees meet this weekend

At their Fall term meetings in Hanover this weekend, the Board of Trustees will name a search committee to look for a replacement for College President James Freedman, who is stepping down after Commencement, Trustee Chairman Stephen Bosworth '61 said.

The Board also will examine the College's finances for the coming year, even though the budget will not formally be approved until the winter meeting. The Trustee Finance Committee, chaired by Andrew Sigler '53, will review the current status of the budget, will examine budget issues for the future and will discuss budget projections for the next few years.

The Finance Committee will discuss upcoming projects and their funding, including the new Moore Psychology and Berry Library.

The student liaisons to the Board will have an unprecedented opportunity to discuss student budgeting priorities with the Trustees this weekend, according to liaison Case Dorkey '99.

"We're sharing some initial thoughts with the Trustees with the anticipation to put a proposal of our own together for the winter meeting," Dorkey said.

The Trustees also will discuss the status of the alumni fund and alumni relations, according to Richard Page '54, chairperson for the Committee of Development, Alumni and Public Affairs.

Page's committee will hear a presentation made by Public Affairs Director Laurel Stavis on the costs of a college education around the country and current legislation regarding college costs.

According to Page, "It's not affecting our finances whatsoever, it's more for the trustees to be up to date on what is happening across the country."

Also on the weekend's agenda are presentations by administrators Dean of the College Lee Pelton and Treasurer Lyn Hutton.

Every year, the Student Assembly voices its concerns in a three-page document that goes into a packet given to the Trustees. For this meeting, the Assembly has focused its commentary on the presidential search, race and ethnicity and alcohol and social space.

Some of the Trustees have already arrived in Hanover, and yesterday the Committee of Student Affairs met with students to discuss current campus issues, primarly the recommendations of the College Committee on Alcohol and other Drugs. The point of the meeting was merely to inform the Trustees on the report.

Pelton must decide whether the recommendations should be implemented.