Search committee members named

Trustee Chairman Stephen Bosworth yesterday announced the names of the 14 members of the Presidential Search Committee, the group which will be responsible for submitting a list of nominees for the College's next president.

The committee's first meeting will be held on Dec. 3 in Boston.

While the committee will ultimately decide on a "short list" of nominees by the spring, the decision on the next president will be one made by the full Board of Trustees.

The composition of the committee includes six Trustees, six members of the faculty -- one from each division of the arts and sciences and one from each of the professional schools -- one alumni representative, and one student representative.

Trustee William King '63, the vice chairman of the McGuire, Woods, Battle & Boothe lawfirm, chairs the committee.

The other Trustees include: Susan Dentzer '77, contributing editor of U.S. News & World Report; Jonathan Newcomb '68, president and chief executive officer of Simon & Schuster, Inc.; Richard Page '54, attorney at law; Stanford Roman '64, dean of the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education and City University of New York Medical School; and Kate Stith-Cabranes '73, a professor of law at Yale University.

Erica Ryu '98, a sociology major from Northbrook, Ill., is the lone student on the committee. In an interview with The Dartmouth yesterday, she said she felt very honored to have been chosen for the committee, but also admitted "it's a bit daunting because it is a huge responsibility, and one that I will take very seriously."

The faculty members of the committee include: James Bernat, professor of medicine and director of Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center's program in clinical ethics; Nancy Frankenberry, Stone Professor of Intellectual and Moral Philosophy and professor of religion; Mary Lou Guerinot, chair of the biology department; Raymond Hall, Orvil E. Dryfoos Professor of Public Affairs and chair of the sociology department; Ulf Osterberg, professor of engineering at the Thayer School of Engineering; and Frederick Webster, Jr. '59, a Charles Henry Jones Third Century Professor of Management at the Tuck School of Business Administration.

Amy Cammann Cholnoky '77, president of the Association of Alumni of Dartmouth College, is the alumni representative.

The committee will be assisted by search consultants Shelly Weiss Storbeck and Robert Atwell of A.T. Kearney, Inc., who have been retained by the Board for the search.

In its charge to the search committee, the Board stated, "The Presidential Search Committee is charged with recommending to the Trustees, not later than the spring of 1998, an unranked list of individuals who, in the committee's collective judgment, are each well qualified to lead Dartmouth College as its next president."

Bosworth said the committee's goal "is to identify the best woman or man to lead Dartmouth into the 21st century."