'We should be so lucky!' to Have Dartmouth Produce People Like Wright

Aaron Klein's opinion piece in Wednesday's issue of The Dartmouth ["Faculty Politics Adulterate Appointment Process," Oct. 9] was filled with glaring inaccuracies, marred by baseless and reckless assumptions, and thoroughly invalidated by a systematic and flagrant disregard of facts.

First, equating the petition to a "hit list" is a shoddy, below-the-belt indignity. The number of faculty who signed the petition in favor of Professor James Wright did so voluntarily and with the fervent desire that Professor Wright would continue in the position of Provost. Indeed, if Professor Wright had been aware that a petition was being circulated, he would have done all in his power to stop it.

Second, the claim that a "former dean" (Professor Hans Penner) created "a petition under bogus circumstances to help the current dean (Professor Wright) continue his climb up the ladder," is not only libelous but downright false, defaming the characters and integrity of both men.

At the very least, Klein owes us the courtesy of citing his sources to substantiate his claim that the signatures were obtained by "illegitimate means." Professor Wright's credentials are impeccable and his conduct of office has always been above reproach. The article is rife with refutable distortions, but anyone who knows Professor Wright will shake his or her head and simply lament the damage a piece of this nature can cause among the uninformed or the mean-spirited.

To Klein's question: "Is Dean Wright's example really what kind of people Dartmouth wants to produce?" The answer is crystal clear: "We should be so lucky!"