S&S van slammed by student car

A sport utility vehicle owned by a student ran into a Safety and Security van in front of Gile Hall, then drove off without leaving any identification yesterday evening, according to a Safety and Security complaint filed last night.

New Hampshire state law requires that a person involved in a hit-and-run accident leave identification, like a note. Hanover Police are investigating the incident.

The owner of the vehicle, Wesley MacLaggan '98, did not return a telephone call last night.

Officer Lauren Cummings and another Safety and Security officer had parked their cruiser in a lane outside of Gile Hall alongside the student's vehicle. They made a "mental note" of the vehicle's license plate before entering the dorms because the student's car was close to their vehicle, Cummings's complaint states.

When they returned to the cruiser, the officers noticed a "series of parallel scrape marks in the rear sliding passenger door," the report states. Safety and Security notified Hanover Police that a hit-and-run accident had occurred and gave them the license plate and a description of the automobile.

MacLaggan's vehicle was discovered a few minutes later with "damage consistent with having made contact with our cruiser," according to the report.

As of yesterday evening, Safety and Security had not been notified whether charges will be brought against MacLaggan or the vehicle's driver, if it was operated by a different person.