Publishing of Klein Column Showed Poor Editorial Judgment

To the Editor:

I have been a devoted reader of The Dartmouth and have been privileged to know some of your predecessors. Until the appearance of Aaron Klein's piece ["Faculty Politics Adulterate Appointment Process," Oct. 9,] I had believed that the directorate had usually demonstrated the kind of editorial leadership required of a first-rate newspaper. Klein's piece does not reinforce my opinion.

Be assured that no one I know wishes to muzzle legitimate reporting or debate. However, Klein's piece fell far short of the mark of either good and responsible reporting or op-ed writing.

I cannot speak more eloquently than Dean Berger, June Sweeney or John Rassias about what Jim Wright has accomplished on behalf of and meant to Dartmouth College. I can tell you that those of us who have labored with Jim on behalf of the College are shocked that the editorial staff of The Dartmouth either knows so little about the College or that the standard of verification of accusations has disappeared from the paper.

If Klein does not have the good grace to admit to not doing his homework and apologizing to Jim Wright and this community, I hope that the editorial staff will face up to the fact that a huge mistake was made.

A simple and timely statement would be welcomed and would reaffirm the integrity of The Dartmouth for many of us who have been devoted readers.