Kiewit to be demolished if Berry plan approved

If one proposal for the new Berry Library is approved, the Kiewit Computation Center will be demolished, Director of Facilities Planning Gordon DeWitt said yesterday.

If College officials decide to build an addition at the west end of a proposed building, Kiewit will be in the way. The College is currently considering ways to relocate computing services.

"We can't demolish Kiewit until the folks in there find some place else to go," DeWitt said.

"At the earliest, it would be something like late 1999 or 2000 before we'd have to get into taking Kiewit down or offline," he said

Regardless of whether Kiewit is destroyed, some of its present occupants are already moving. Administrative computing is scheduled to move into the first phase of the new Berry building, DeWitt said.

If the proposed structure is built, one of the College's academic departments may be moved there. Tentative plans leave space for classrooms on the first two floors and office space on the top three floors.

DeWitt said no decision has been reached about which department would be relocated there, although the mathematics department currently needs a new home.

"There is no clear solution as yet," DeWitt said.