Hutton skips search; Rossiter to head up DDS

College Treasurer Lynn Hutton skipped a normal search process to make Tucker Rossiter the new director of Dartmouth Dining Services, the position recently vacated by Pete Napalitano.

Hutton said she was comfortable skipping the normal search process, because Rossiter has proven himself capable of handling the responsibilities of director. Rossiter previously has worked as acting director and assistant director of DDS.

"I've always been heavily involved with operations and this just gives me a chance to have director responsibilities," Rossiter said.

Normally, Hutton would have formed a search committee, advertised the open position, reviewed applications and conducted interviews. The decision ultimately lies with Hutton.

As of Friday, DDS employees had not been notified of Rossiter's appointment.

Hutton used Napalitano's departure to eliminate Rossiter's formal position. DDS will no longer have an associate director.

This month marks Rossiter's 14th year at the College. He came to the College as a catering manager, then served as DDS assistant director and DDS associate director.

Other DDS positions that have been combined to streamline DDS include making Collis Cafe Manager Don Reed the manager of the Lone Pine Tavern and making Concessions Manager Doreen Betters the manager of Topside Convenience Store.

According to Hutton, the DDS director is the person who is responsible for the ongoing operations and provisions of Dining Services. The director's tasks include defining the dining program, ensuring that the dining halls are open and properly staffed and coordinating student-appropriate menus.

"The buck stops at Tucker's desk, day-in, day-out," she said.

Rossiter becomes director at a turbulent time for DDS. At the time of the resignation of Napalitano, now director of food services for Middlebury College in Vermont, DDS had accrued $1 million in debt.

Although Hutton said it is still too early in the term to assess the current financial situation, she said the organization has changed for the better.

Rossiter said sales are up as a result of changes like the new Collis Cafe menu and Sunday brunch at Home Plate. But many problems linger. Some dining areas are overcrowded, and DDS needs another 30 student employees for this term.