Clubhouse is Being Built in Tribute to Both Women's and Men's Rugby

I just wanted to write a note to clarify something that was published in the Oct. 1 issue of The Dartmouth. ["College wins victory in fight over rugby clubhouse."] I am not speaking on behalf of my team but as a member of that team.

I was pleasantly surprised today to notice the article written about the rugby clubhouse project. Upon reading the article, however, I was disappointed. The project represents the first of its kind in US collegiate rugby and in this way is a great honor for Dartmouth (We are the first college to build a clubhouse which is a traditional part of the game and culture of rugby).

More importantly, this house is being built in recognition and support of DARTMOUTH RUGBY. To this end, it is a coed house for the men's and women's teams -- making it one of few such locations on campus. Both teams have very successful histories at Dartmouth and both teams have a lot at stake with the building of this house.

The omission of any mention of the women's team indicates a great lack of understanding of this entire venture. The house, funded by alums, is a testament to the importance of rugby as a club sport to all those who have played it here. I cannot emphasize enough that this project has been undertaken in the spirit of a united Dartmouth rugby -- coaches and members of both teams have spent countless hours at work in order to see this clubhouse become a reality. For this reason I respond to this article and wish to acknowledge the many accomplishments of both teams and our coaches.