Catch fall colors before they're gone

The best show this month is free, and it is not playing at the Nugget or in the Hopkins Center: the beautiful autumn foliage.

Peak season is almost over, so leaf peepers should seize the moment and get out to see the sights. Whether on foot or on bicycle, in a car or a kayak, the vibrant New England colors offer the best study break around.

No one knows the area around Hanover better than the Dartmouth Cycling Team and Outing Club. The Dartmouth asked members of both organizations for their top picks for places to see the leaves:

Walking and Hiking Trails

The BEMA -- Don't forget this easy escape from the busy center of campus. Take a short walk across the Green, behind Dartmouth Hall and past the Fayerweather dorm to a dirt road behind Smith.

Pine Park -- Although the official name may not be well known, joggers and walkers frequent this string of trails behind the Hanover Country Club . The trails criss-cross the golf course, forcing walkers to yield to golfers and carts, but the 90 acres of pine forest still provide a secluded, natural spot close to campus. At the east end, the trail runs into Lyme Road, another common route to walk or jog.

How to get there: Follow North Main Street north until it turns into Rope Ferry Road and passes the DOC House and the Country club with Occum Pond on the left. Cross carefully onto the golf course and look for a well marked trail on the left in the woods.

Mink Brook Trail -- Another well-traveled nearby path, this loop passes the Connecticut river and Mink Brook at the south end of campus. The path winds from Maple street and back to S. Main Street.

How To Get There: Walk south down Main Street to Maple Street and take a right. Where Maple Street becomes a dead end, a blue sign marks the beginning of the trail.

Velvet Rocks -- This 5.2 mile trip starts at the Green and ends up at Velvet Rocks, the little mountain south of Hanover.

How To Get There: Head south on Main Street past the Post Office and turn left on Lebanon Street. Continue past Hanover High school. At the Hanover Coop Mobile turn left on the gravel road to the southeast corner of the sports fields and cross a bridge into the woods. When the trail forks, follow the blue blazes on the left to go to Velvet Rocks; the white blazes on the right mark the rest of the Appalachian Trail.

Balch Hill -- Another close but scenic spot, this exposed hilltop provides an open view of west campus, Mt. Ascutney in the south, Gile Mountain in the northwest and Mt. Killington in the west.

How To Get There: Follow East Wheelock Street east to the lights at Berry Sports center and turn left. Follow the road to the lights at the medical school and take a right on Rt. 10. After about a mile, turn right onto Reservoir Road, then take another right on Hemlock. The trail is marked by a small sign near a private home.

Gile Mountain fire tower -- From the top of this high tower, you can see the White Mountains to the east, the Green Mountains to the west and the Connecticut River Valley in between. The trailhead is further from campus than the others at 7.3 miles, but the spectacular view is worth the extra time.

How To Get There: Cross the Connecticut River into Norwich, follow Main street under Interstate 91 and pass Dan and Whit's general store. Turn left onto Turnpike Road, stay left at the fork at New Boston Road and continue to Lower Turnpike Road. Look for the sign on the left after the road becomes gravel.