Beacon Article on Greeks Was Intended to be Humorous

This is in response to Kevan Higgins '00 article "The Beacon: Dishonest and Disrespectful" [Oct. 9]: Stereotypes exist on this campus. The Beacon, in the Frat Guide, reported them. We intended for others to get a good laugh while possibly learning a few things about the houses. Let us be honest, Mr. Higgins; we did not print anything that was new to the campus. We did not deliberately misrepresent anyone. We did deliberately represent campus opinion.

Details such as "... member ... acquitted of rape ..." , though unsavory, are factual, and we stand by them. Similarly, the comment "... according to some sources, the brotherhood unity has been slipping ..." was based upon the comments of brothers of the organization in question. As you rightfully stated, a fraternity, like their members, cannot be reduced to a paragraph. One of the most salient aspects of this guide was advertised in large type; we intended this guide to be "humorous."

I call to your attention the many, many articles published in The Beacon about Greek Letter organizations' philanthropy, alcohol policy, minimum standards, risk management, and press coverage. There was no attempt to "trash" the Greeks. On the spectrum of campus papers, we are decidedly supportive of the Greek System.

I would expect Dartmouth students to read the guide, laugh, and then make their own decisions, as you "luckily" have been able to do. I don't put much stock in luck, but I do know that Dartmouth students can make choices for themselves. I also know that they can laugh.