Assembly's Summer Full of Accomplishments

"It was a lazy summer for Student Assembly," the headline reads in yesterday's article about Student Assembly.

The phrase "lazy summer" is, at best, an interesting choice of words for a headline, especially since the actual article had nothing to do with Student Assembly's summer work, but instead proved to be one long list of projects either accomplished or about to be accomplished by SA early in this fall term. October 14 is a day when previous Assemblies have been more than busy just organizing themselves, let alone actually doing something.

The Dartmouth's article, despite its headline, clearly illustrates two things: This year's Student Assembly has been extremely successful in organizing itself in a swift and efficient manner, already having a large and very active membership at work. An illustration of the current Student Assembly and its membership is the fact that SA last week opened itself up to more students by eliminating its membership cap, and SA's individual members will also be going through 12 hours of diversity training in the months to follow.

In addition, inherent to the current progress of the SA is the many accomplishments of the summer Student Assembly. Not only did it work on annual services like College Kits and Mugshots, but it also achieved major feats by assuring cluster printing for students, by working on a sexual harassment brochure to be published in conjunction with the administration, and in researching issues such as Dartalk, fines, students' bill of rights, Dartmouth Dining Services and cable. These are all major accomplishments for students and by students who can be (and should be) called anything but lazy.