Packers should top NFC Central

It may be worthless to evaluate the NFC Central seeing that the Green Bay Packers should runaway with the division once again as they try to win back-to- back Super Bowls. Yet, the black-and-blue division of the NFL will get more than one team into the playoffs, and the question is only which of the remaining four teams will be able to earn a wild-card spot.

Green Bay Packers

Predicted 1997 Record: 12-4

Green Bay returns for the 1997 season with the same basic squad that defeated the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI. Once again, the offense will be anchored by Brett Favre as quarterback, who has proved he is the league's finest at the position the past two years. Wide Receivers Antonio Freeman and Robert Brooks have turned into a superb duo, and when combined with tight end Mark Chmura, Favre has tons of weapons to whom he can throw.

The only weak spot may be the loss of Edgar Bennett to a knee injury, but replacement Dorsey Levens is bigger, stronger and faster and was dominant in the playoffs. The loss of kicker Chris Jacke will cost the Packers a game at some point in the season as they turn to rookie Brett Conway, who missed three field goal attempts in the first half last weekend.

Defensively, the Packers are led by nose tackle Gilbert Brown, who stops the run by himself, forcing teams to throw against a strong secondary. Reggie White still records sacks when teams fall behind and throw the ball, but White is old and extremely overrated. The linebacking corps is solid with Brian Williams and Wayne Simmons. LeRoy Butler, Doug Evans and Craig Newsome are tough defenders in the secondary who can handle big receivers.

The NFC Championship game is worst case scenario for this team.

Chicago Bears

Predicted 1997 Record: 9-7

The Bears will emerge from the divisional parity and capture a wild-card berth with a solid offense and a defense that could surprise many teams.

Acquiring Quarterback Rick Mirer from the Seahawks may have put the final piece of the puzzle into place for the Chicago offense. Mirer should be well-suited to the Bears' short passing game that will utilize the tight ends and backfield. Rashaan Salaam and Robert Harris are the best running back tandem in the league and should be on the field together in a split-back formation. Curtis Conway is a deep threat at receiver and first-round draft pick John Allred will start at tight end. The line is top-notch and should protect Mirer.

The defense will be the question mark for the Bears as the defensive line is the poorest in the division. Although physical against the run, they never seem to get pressure on the quarterback. The linebacking is solid thanks to middle backer Bryan Cox, who will pair with Barry Minter to help stop the run but will need to blitz to pressure the quarterback. The addition of free-agent Tom Carter at cornerback will tighten the pass defense. Carter's pairing with Walt Harris gives the Bears' excellent coverage at the cornerback spot.

Detroit Lions

Predicted 1997 Record: 8-8

New head coach Bobby Ross should whip this group of underachievers into shape, but the offense won't be able to carry all the load.

Thanks to the new-look offense that will include a blocking back, Barry Sanders should have one of his best seasons ever as running back. The question mark on offense is quarterback Scott Mitchell, who has had one good season and two horrendous efforts. Odds are Mitchell will struggle in the new system and continue his poor play since he is at best a mediocre starter.

Fortunately for Mitchell, wide receiver Herman Moore is the most athletic wideout in the game and will make Mitchell look average. Johnny Morton must step in for the departed Brett Perriman opposite Moore.

Detroit has the tools on offense to win, but the defense is hopeless as the Lions will also give up the most points in the division. Luther Ellis and Robert Porcher are decent pass-rushers, but running backs will pound on the inside against weak linebackers that are unproven and untalented. The secondary is just as bad, as the Lions lost their top two defenders to free agency. Some solace may come in the form of top pick Bryant Westbrook who should be a star at corner someday. Jason Hanson is not what he used to be at kicker.

Ross will make strides this year but needs another draft to put together a solid defense for this team to make the playoffs.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Predicted 1997 Record: 7-9

The Buccaneers, sporting new tough uniforms, are trying to make a breakthrough and find a wining season. While many think this will be their first winning season in 14 years, the Bucs will disappoint and come up just short for another year. The reason the Bucs won't win, besides the fact that they are Tampa Bay, is the lack of quality players on offense.

Quarterback Trent Dilfer must have a breakout season from his previous misery if Tampa is to contend this season. Management has put weapons around him, but they are all inexperienced although talented. Top draft pick Warrick Dunn is exciting, but may lack the size to be a starting running back in the NFL. The Bucs should really go back to utilizing Errict Rhett by getting him the ball 25 times a game. The receivers are somewhat improved by the addition of rookie Reidel Anthony, but are still pretty poor, as is the offensive line.

Unlike Detroit, the defense of Tampa should rescue the offense in many situations. Head Coach Tony Dungy has built a strong nucleus of young players mixed with veterans such as linebacker Hardy Nickerson. Defensive end Reagan Upshaw is a player, but tackle Warren Sapp needs to stay on the field and out of drug rehab to be effective. Robert Brooks is becoming a playmaker at the outside linebacking spot. The secondary is pretty average but not horrible.

Dungy is on the right track, but replacing Dilfer might be the answer to losing.

Minnesota Vikings

Predicted 1997 Record: 6-10

The prediction of 6-10 may be generous for the Vikings ,who will definitely finish the season with double-digit losses. The team has survived mediocrity the past few years and have done little to improve the team. In fact, the talent is no longer there as Minnesota hasn't brought in any good free agents.

Running back Robert Smith could join the elite runners in the league one day if he could stay healthy and play a full season. But his injuries lead to running back by committee, forcing the Vikings to depend on the pass. Previously, that may have worked. But not this season with lifetime backup Brad Johnson at the helm. Johnson was undeserving of a big contract and the starting job, but Minnesota was desperate. His receivers, Chris Carter and Jake Reed can catch the balll and will help him out. But next season will see Johnson taking his seat on the bench, possibly to this year's backup, Randall Cunningham.

The Vikings usually smother opponents on defense, but this year's squad is just average at best. John Randle is a good tackle, but the rest of the front seven needs help. Jeff Brady stops the run, but none of the linebackers put pressure on opposing quarterbacks. The secondary needs safety Orlando Thomas to return to top form if they are going to stop the opposing teams from beating the Vikings slow defensive backs.

The Vikings have the fourth toughest schedule in the league which may mean the fourth worst record in the conference.