Two sororities change affiliations

Delta Gamma sorority's 19 members voted Sunday to rescind the sorority's national charter and have begun reorganizing as a local sorority.

The sorority is now called Zeta Beta -- its chapter name -- "in honor of its strong history with Delta Gamma [sorority] and the alumnae of the chapter," a press release from the sorority states.

Gemma Ros '99, the sorority's president, wrote in an electronic mail message that the group made this decision now because it was "convenient for the sisterhood."

"The decision reflects the existing environment at Dartmouth which, unlike most campuses around the country, supports and favors the flexibility of local organizations over the benefits offered by national organizations," the release states.

The release states that the decision to become local best suits the interests of the sisters.

Ros wrote that the entire sisterhood was involved in the decision-making process, including the sisters who are off campus this term.

She wrote that the group is currently changing its constitution to reflect the change in its affiliation and will participate in the Panhellenic Council's rush Fall term.

"This will not affect the way we rush," she wrote. "We will continue to look for women who uphold the ideals of sisterhood and friendship that are integral to our chapter."

The release states that despite the name and affiliation changes to the sorority, all currently initiated members will retain their lifetime membership to DG. Any new pledges will be members of Zeta Beta.

The Zeta Beta chapter of Delta Gamma was founded at the College in 1987.