Sussman, Maggio aim to promote 'unified class feeling'

From barbecues and movies, to t-shirts and a trip to Montreal, the 1999 Class Council has planned numerous activities to occupy the class during Sophomore Summer. With at least five percent of the class participating on the Council and over a quarter of the class attending Council-sponsored events, the 1999 Class Council boasts success.

1999 Class Council Summer President Dave Sussman '99 said he would like to see membership on the Council remain high throughout the summer to "include as many people as we can." He said over 60 students attended the first meeting of the summer, including many students new to the Council.

Vice President Melissa Maggio '99 said the Council wants to promote class bonding and a "unified class feeling."

Because of the Dartmouth plan, "come fall and all junior year, we're going to be all over the place," Maggio said. "We want to create something to come back to senior year."

Sussman said another one of his goals for the Council this summer is to "try to get as many people to get out and enjoy summer as we can."

Summer fun

Under the direction of Sophomore Summer Activities Chairs Beth Westman '99 and Jessica Kelley '99, "we've tried to plan activities for every week or weekend," Sussman said.

Maggio said most of the Council's focus for the summer is programming because "not many other organizations are around to do it."

The '99 Council sold class t-shirts at registration and in Thayer Dining Hall at the beginning of the term. They showed the movie "Summer School" on the side of Blunt Alumni Center two weeks ago and plan to show another one soon, perhaps "Scream," Westman said.

The Council sponsored a band and barbecue on Tuck Drive for the Fourth of July, and over 250 people attended, Sussman said.

Kelley said they are planning on having another barbecue during Tubestock weekend.

Westman said the Council has planned an ice cream social at the Ledyard Canoe Club this Wednesday, with "free ice cream for the whole class" and 25 percent off rentals.

Another activity the Council is planning, she said, is a class volleyball tournament at Zeta Psi fraternity with prizes.

The largest activity the Council has planned for the summer is a class trip to Montreal Aug. 8 and 9.

According to Kelley, 90 students have signed up to go on the trip.

Green Eggs and Fam

Sophomore Family Weekend is July 25 to 27, and the 1999 Class Council has been preparing for the event since Winter term, according to Adrienne Wilson '99, who is chairing the event committee along with Emily Csatari '99 and Amy Stone '99. The weekend's theme is "Green Eggs and Fam," Wilson said.

Events scheduled for the weekend begin on Friday afternoon with registration, followed by an address by Director of Career Services Skip Sturman. Friday night activities include an evening Hillel service, student performances in the Lone Pine Tavern, a hypnotist show in Collis Common Ground and the Mainstage production of "Arcadia" in the Hopkins Center.

On Saturday, there will be a brunch on College President James Freedman's lawn with class Deans Kate Burke and Sylvia Langford. Wilson said having the event on the president's lawn is exciting because Freedman "usually only lets graduation receptions be held there."

A barbecue on Tuck Mall is "the central event on Saturday," Wilson said. She said Blood's Seafood will cater and WDCR radio may broadcast live from the event.

Other Saturday events for Sophomore Family Weekend include lectures by professors, a historical tour of the campus, a tennis tournament, Baker library tower tours, a sunset jazz party and a tour of the organic farm.

On Sunday the Council will hold a brunch at Occom Pond, where the Summerphonics will perform.

Helping others

The 1999 Class Council has planned more than just social activities for the summer. Erica Wygonik '99, chair of the Communtiy Service commitee said the Council is working on both long- and short-term community service projects.

Short-term projects include visiting Hanover Terrace HealthCare and walking with the residents and running a food drive outside a grocery store, she said. The Council has done both these projects in past terms.

"We're trying to better advertise for service activities," Wygonik said. She said service projects are open to anyone in the class, and the Council wants to get the word out to everyone about them.

Long-term projects the Council might take on are working with a local business and schools to send old books to Costa Rica, painting a house or helping maintain a hiking trail.