Students prepare for Fourth of July

Some students may be stuck in Hanover this Fourth of July weekend, but the College and Upper Valley offer many ways to celebrate.

The 1999 Class Council and the Programming Board are sponsoring a festival on Tuck Drive tomorrow from noon to four p.m. The band Downtime, last seen at Alpha Delta fraternity's Green Key party, will be performing. Also, volleyball games will be set up and Dartmouth Dining Services will provide food. The rain location is the Collis Common Ground.

The Dartmouth Outing Club has organized a trip to Mount Moosilauke for the fourth of July. At 5:30 p.m., students can eat a $6.25 buffet-style dinner at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge before hiking up to the summit and watching fireworks launched from the surrounding towns.

Free transportation will be provided from Webster Hall to the lodge at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Buses will arrive back in Hanover at midnight, or students can spend the night for an extra cost.

DOC President Sally Dickinson '99 said 60 people can attend the hike and she expects it will be full. Interested students can sign up at the Outdoor Programs Office or e-mail the DOC President BlitzMail account.

Dickinson said members of the Cabin and Trails division of the DOC will be hiking and spending the weekend at the John Rand cabin.

The party scene will be fairly tame this weekend, with the only registered party at AD.

The party will feature the band Groove Merchant, AD Social Chair Chris Bateson '99 said.

But the town of Hanover has some events planned for its fifth annual "Old-Fashioned Fourth of July." A parade will start from Thompson Arena at 10 a.m. Friday and march through town to the Green, where the opening ceremonies will take place at 10:30 a.m.

Entertainment will be provided on a center stage on the Green between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Shows include the Green Mountain Highlanders Bagpipe Band at 10:15 a.m., the Foggy Mountain Cloggers at 11:15 a.m., the Cardigan Mountain Tradition at 11:45 a.m., the North Country Chordsmen at 12:30 p.m. and The Flames at 1 p.m.

There will also be games, a petting zoo, food and live music broadcast by KIXX Country 100.5 FM.

Some students who are staying on campus for the Fourth of July have made their own plans.

Jeana Chung '99 said she is staying on campus for the long weekend to relax, swim, get together with some friends and cook out. Chung said she also hopes to "catch up" on schoolwork.

Kevin Gallagher '99 said most of his weekend is still unplanned, but he will most likely "stay around here, hang out at [Chi Heorot fraternity] and do some barbecuing."

Other students are voyaging great distances with the advantage of the long weekend.

Karen Mangold '99 said she is traveling to her grandfather's house in the Adirondacks this weekend for a family reunion and then to her great uncle's home in Albany, NY for his 80th birthday.

Adam Jacobstein '99 said he is going to Montreal with the Ultimate Frisbee Club to celebrate the Fourth of July. Jacobstein said the team will participate in a tournament with "really good" club teams from the Northeast and Canada.

En route, they will be stopping to water-ski at a friend's home, and in Canada they will be attending a jazz festival where Tony Bennett is scheduled to perform.

Austin Hawley '99 said he is taking a road trip to Maine to visit a friend's home.

For others not willing to make such long treks, the surrounding towns offer a variety of activities as well.

In Woodstock, a summer festival and craft show will be held from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the high school off Route 4 West.

Food, children's rides and activities and musical entertainment will be provided. Admission is $3 or $6 per carload and fireworks will explode in the sky Friday at dusk.

A parade will march through the town of Lebanon at 4 p.m. Friday and area bands will perform at the high school between 5 and 10 p.m. The Velocity Bike Show will be at 6:45 and 7:45 p.m. and there will be a Shaw Brothers concert at 8:45 p.m. The evening will also close with fireworks display.