Sophomore summer is for juniors too

Although Summer term is usually referred to as "sophomore summer," many students from other classes are roaming the campus, either taking classes or remaining for other reasons.

According to the Registrar's office, in addition to the 966 members of the Class of 1999 registered this term, there are also 19 members of the Class of 2000 and 67 members of the Class of 1998 registered.

However, even more non-sophomores are running around campus.

Many freshmen and juniors stay in the Hanover area during the summer for non-academic reasons, such as jobs and research for professors.

It is difficult to estimate just how many Dartmouth students stay in the area over the summer because of the large population of off-campus residents.

But Director of Housing Services Lynn Rosenblum said most summers there are a number of students who are not sophomores. In particular, international students sometimes stay in order to find work when they do not have the funds to travel home.

Rosenblum said some freshmen and juniors are taking classes this summer because the sophomore summer requirement may have been waived in special cases and exchanged for another summer.

Keith Zorn '98 said he is here this summer because he "had a great experience last summer and wanted to find an excuse to stick around."

In order to stay in the Hanover area, Zorn said he has lined up some research and he is working on the mainstage production of "Arcadia" besides doing "a few odd jobs on the side."

Onieka Fraser '98 is on campus Summer term to take a class for her public policy minor.

Fraser said she is here because "the seminar that I wanted is only offered this summer." In addition, she is also taking one class "just for fun."

Some students use Summer term as an opportunity to escape the ice and snow of Hanover winters.

Betty Rucamuvyuma '00 said he is here this summer so he can take next Winter term off. "I am not into a very New Hampshire winter," he said.

While some students choose to be on during Summer term in their original Dartmouth Plan, some are forced into it by fate.

Aaron Schumacher '98 said his "original plan was not to be here any summer" due to commitments to the Track and Field Team. However, he said he ended up taking off last Winter term and is here now because "Dad said I had to graduate on time."

Zaira Zafra '98 is also at Dartmouth this term to take some classes for her major.

She said Summer term is "hotter and more relaxing" and is also a "little bit quieter," which enables her to get more work done.

Rucamuvyuma said that the less stressful atmosphere of Summer term affords him the chance to use many of the athletic facilities he normally does not have chance to.

Strangers among us

Zafra said this term is a little bit difficult socially with "only the '99 class to entertain you ... I guess they are doing an okay job."

Although there are few members of the Class of 2000 on campus right now, Rucamuvyuma said this term is a good opportunity to meet other College students who are not in his class.

"I didn't know many '99s before this summer and now I am getting to know many of them now," he said.

Zorn said "it is not too weird" being surrounded by sophomores most of the time. He said he lives in the Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity house and "for the most part it is pretty fun" although he gets "a lot less blitzes."

Schumacher said "it is kind of weird" being surrounded by so many people that he does not know. However, many of his fellow teammates live in off-campus houses so "I essentially see a lot of the same people I see the rest of the year," he said.

"I was kind of shocked when I saw" how many members of the Class of 1998 were still around, he said. "People just don't like to leave."

It is difficult to make plans with many of the members of the Class of 1998 because they are working in the Hanover area while he is taking classes, Schumacher added.