Nurse arrested for jewelry theft

Hanover Police arrested a nurse at the Kendal at Hanover retirement community on Tuesday for theft of $30,000 worth of jewelry stolen from a resident there last week.

Arresting officer Detective Shawn Dupuis said all the jewelry was recovered on Friday, the same day it was reported missing, at the home of Shannon Kilton, 22, of Enfield, N.H.

Kilton was arrested on Tuesday and charged with the felony of Theft by Unauthorized Taking. According to a press release from the Hanover Police, she was released on personal recognizance bail.

Acting Executive Director of Kendal Brent Edgerton said Kilton, who has worked at Kendal for about three months, has not been terminated, but has instead been put on suspension.

"She is a prime suspect, but because she is innocent until proven guilty, we felt it was in our best interest to put her on suspension and not terminate her," Edgerton said. "The investigation is still going on, and we want to protect the residents and staff who are here."

According to the release, a Kendal resident reported $30,000 worth of jewelry missing on Friday. The jewelry had been last seen in the victim's room.

Dupuis said Kendal was very cooperative, and Kilton was apprehended after the police conducted interviews at Kendal and went through employee lists.

"Kendal is not by any means riddled with crime," he said. "I've never handled a theft complaint there in the three years I've been working" at the Hanover Police Department.

Edgerton said this is the first time in six-and-a-half years that "an incident like this has occurred at Kendal."

He said Kendal performs thorough background checks on all potential employees. "We went back to check on [Kilton] again, and she has no criminal background and very strong references," he said.